I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tacky flex-coat
Posted by: Robert Milbrandt (---.mayo.edu)
Date: November 24, 2004 11:35AM

Put the second coat of Flex-Coat high build ton the wraps of a rod I'm finishing up. It's been 24 hours and the Flex-Coat is still tacky on the foil on which I poured it out on. I measured it out in syringes in 3cc increments of both bottles and stirred it for 4-5 minutes. Seems like I can go 12-18 months without a glitch and then out of nowhere I can have a problem with the Flex-Coat not drying properly. Doesn't happen too often, but when it does it sure is frustrating. Another coat over the sticky coat solves the problem. Anybody else out there ever have this problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tacky flex-coat
Posted by: Jeremy Parratt (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 12:04PM

I feel your pain brother!!!!
On the last rod I built, I had a similar problem. Glasscoat was still sticky on the foil two days after it was applied, but was 100% fully cured and as dry as can be on the wraps. Never had it happen that way before, but I was sure glad it did. That was the most difficult rod I had built to date, with Murphy and his darn law standing over me smacking me in the head every chance he got!!!haha But it all came out fine in the end.
Good wrapping,
Jeremy

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 24, 2004 12:12PM

I know all about old Murphy; then there's Putter's Law: Murphy was an optimist!!!
Putter

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 24, 2004 12:15PM

Robert, Avoid the temptation to remove or recoat the finish for a couple of days. Unless you did a really bad job mixing the two parts, the finish will eventually get hard. Over the last two weeks, I've built a number of fly rods with both Flex Coat High Build and Light Build. The high build took over 72 hours before the finish hardened. The light build took 48 hours longer that that. But both hardened. I mix for over 3 minutes each time, scrapping the sides of the cup in both directions as well. If the finish doesn't harden by then, apply a light coat of fresh finish over each wrap to cover the former sticky finish. Even if you do everything correct, all kinds of causes can affect the curing time of the finish.
Happy Thanksgiving

Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 12:52PM

I am amazed at how this board always seems to address issues I have from time to time. I have similar results as others with Flex Coat. I primarily use lite build, and can go for a long time with no problems, then run into a batch that doesn't want to cure. It usually happens on what I intend to be my final coat. I measure and mix every batch the same, 1 dram of each part, and mix for 3 minutes, timed. That's Putter's Law at work, I guess. I have a rod standing now that hasn't cured in five days. Since I have other pressing projects, I will let it sit a few more days before I deal with it. I wonder what the humidity and temperature do to the equation.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.46.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 01:13PM

Have to say the Glass Coat I use has not given me any problems --- yet!!?? Just had to dig

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 24, 2004 01:16PM

I've often wondered about the affects of temperature and humdity as well. But have you also noticed that the mix will partially harden just before the last one or two wraps have been completed? Enough to not chance screwing up a good wrap, but still soft enough to make you wonder if you mixed it wrong? I asked in a earlier post (11/18) and most of the respondents report only a few factors such as temperature have any affect. Fran,I think you are doing the right thing and letting it set for a few days more. I would only rush the process if I were preparing a rod for an occasional customer and the promise date was coming up fast and furious.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.145.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 01:48PM

Humidity has no effect, but temperature certainly does. This time of year you have guys working in basements and garages and the usual temperature of the area can be considerably less than it was in the summer months. Remember, a change of just 18F in direction from about 70F results in either doubling or halving the set up and cure time.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.2.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 03:20PM

If you can put the rod in a warmer room

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 04:11PM

I'm working in a temerature-controlled bonus room. But, I have a pre-menopausal wife, and there's no telling where the thermostat is going to be at any given time. Do not get between her and the thermostat!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 24, 2004 04:24PM

Yeah, that stuff can cause brain damage!
Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster