I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo rod restoration
Posted by: Jack Van Nest (---.los-angeles-18rh15-16rt.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 25, 2004 09:21PM

First let me say thank you for all the information that I have received from you folks on this site.

I have been making rods on and off for about 20-years. I still consider myself an amatuer, as I just don't have the time necessary to devote to this great hobby. All-in-all, I've probably only made about 5 or 6 rods, but I really enjoy it. Now that I'm getting close to retirement, I hope to be able to spend more time with this hobby.

Now, my problem:

In 1987 I rebuilt an old bamboo rod that my wife found at a garage sale. I don't remember the name of the book I read about rebuilding bamboo rods, but it came out pretty good. I'm not much at fly casting, but, over the years, I've probably used it at least one week every couple of years and I had fun using it. I may have even caught a fish or two.

Last year, on my first cast, the tip section splintered! I have a 2nd tip, but I'm afraid that if I try it, it too, will splinter (because of the age).

Can anyone give me any advise as to what I should do to either test the rod or restore it to a condition where I can again start using it?

The reel seat and cork handle are in excellent shape, and I would hate to have to remove them. But any information that you guys can give me, or any suggestions, would be really appreciated.

Again, thanks for everything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo rod restoration
Posted by: bill mathis (---.dialpool.brtc.net)
Date: October 25, 2004 09:26PM

get mike sinclairs book restoring bamboo flyrods it tells how to repair or e-mail me for futher info. hope this helps. bill

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2004 09:43PM

Jack -
Try posting your question here:
[www.thebambooflyrod.com]

The message board there is visited by what I would consider "the best of the best" on bamboo rod repairs.
(Wayne Cattanach, Michael Sinclair, Stuart Kirkfield and others)

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2004 05:42AM

If it is a japaneese rod then that explains it. On these bamboo rods you need to pause and let the rod do all the work. I can fish a bamboo rod all day and at the end of day my buddies that fish graphite complain about their shoulders hurting. I have seen a lot of guys that fish graphite and they ought to keep fishing graphite because they just get the bamboo whipping in the air and they sound like a bullwhip. Some guys bamboo is not for them.. If you have a pic of rods reelseat, grip and ferrules maybe I could indentify for you.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Jack Van Nest (---.usmc-mccs.org)
Date: October 27, 2004 03:13PM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info. At least now I know where to turn. It will take awhile, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Again, thanks.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.159.2.190.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: October 27, 2004 04:51PM

If the tip section just came apart at the glue joints and it is not broken the job is an easy one of re-gluing and binding, set it set a day or so and scrape the excess glue off and go from there. Sinclair's book was going on @#$%& for around $100.00 the last I looked.

Posted by: Vladimir Klatil (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:33PM

l screwed up.Climing in to a gorge on Ausable river did not secured my great 5wt.LL bean rod enough.
It came down after me and l spent great amount of time looking at the splintered tip.Idiot.
Now my question to the people who know.95% of the bamboo is there, splintered but not broken.The lenght of the damage is about 2.5 inches.Would You trim the tip and make it shorter, or reglue and invisible wrap the tip.l have done this kind of repair on mid section of older rod which dilaminated and now lcant even find the repaired part.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated,sincerely
Vladimir

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster