I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

to spine or not to spine
Posted by: Sean Hansen (---.wtfrwi.tds.net)
Date: October 20, 2004 08:16PM

do you put your guides for a fly rod on the spine or opposite the spine

on the rods i have built i believe i have put them on the spine not really sure but i have done the same on all my fly rods (when looking for the spine tip in hand and butt on table apply pressure and side that rolls to top is where i put my guides)

i have different things and get confused

thanks for any help

Sean Hansen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: to spine or not to spine
Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2004 08:50PM

Read the FAQ's. Topic #5 addresses your question.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: October 20, 2004 09:13PM

Personaly , on lighter fly rods , I lean more twards orienating the guides to the natural curve of the blank . Heavier rods , I place the guides on the inside of the spine. JD

Posted by: Steve Lynas (209.135.108.---)
Date: October 21, 2004 06:54AM

I believe the idea is to allow the blank to do what it wants to do naturally when it is fighting with a fish. For example when you roll your blank as you do and it jumps into position, it is jumping into the curve that it feels is the easy movement for it, that is the curve that is now facing upward at you. This curve is the path of least resistance for the blank and should be the side you put your guides on. So I believe you have been laying out your guides on the right side. This is my understanding of it, but hey I am new at this skill.

Posted by: Frank Moore (---.hfc.comcastbusine)
Date: October 21, 2004 10:02AM

Sean, I can not be sure by your post what you mean by the top - but if when you place the bend in the blank you are placing the guides on the inside (top??) of the bend, you are actually placing the guides opposite of the spine. The "effective" spine is the outside of the curve. See FAQ #2.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.reserved.madisonriver.net)
Date: October 21, 2004 03:03PM

A couple of years ago I was surprised to find out that Sage and Loomis, do not spine their blanks. They determined where to put the guides by the straightness of the blank. In other words, if there is a slight curve to the blank and even the best blanks usually have a little curve, they put the guides on the bottom of the curve. I still spine my blanks, but this got me to thinking if it is really that important. ????? John Butterfield

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: October 21, 2004 03:14PM

Lately (last couple dozen rods), I've been building to optimize straightness more than anything else. I notice no difference whatsoever and doubt if 1 person in 10,000 could. Just about anyone can notice a crooked rod though and that's why I started doing it this way.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.57.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 21, 2004 03:56PM

Most rod customers sight down a new rod by holding the guides either straight up or straight down. This is why commercial rod operations put the guides on the straightest axis. It has nothing to do with performance, but rather everything to do with not having people refuse to buy a rod because they believe it's "crooked."

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: October 21, 2004 04:16PM

Well, the more I test my blanks with the CCS, the more I demonstrate to myself quantitatively why I can't feel anything regarding spine orientation in actual fishing and casting situations. I am not sensitive enough to notice a 1 penny difference. That being the case, if I can't feel the difference and the rod looks best when straightest, I see no downside to using the straightness method for guide orientation.

Just my .02 (I might be able to feel this much money)

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2004 08:58PM

I'm a novice rodbuilder and after learning about rod spines, I've stripped down and redone a couple rods and placed the guides directly on the spine and the difference is like night and day. Even my light weight rods cracks like a whip! This winter when football season is over, I'm going to strip down my 11'6" GLX and redo it with ceramics - besides I think I put too many snakes on it the first time.

Posted by: John Barnes (---.rconnect.com)
Date: October 21, 2004 10:27PM

I have built many rods and I always put my guides on so the
soft side of the rod that bends the easiest goes towards the
fish or the water. Why would you want the rod to bend with
more resistance. good luck whatever you do

Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 21, 2004 10:34PM

Why would you want it to bend with less?

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 12:31AM

Spine seems to be like opinions...everyone's got one!
------

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2004 11:45AM

Not true Doug,
In two instances. #1) you can find a rod where it appears there is no effective spine and #2) I know many PEOPLE that are spineless!!
Ray

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 12:47PM

Point well taken Ray!

Doug

Posted by: Sean Hansen (---.wtfrwi.tds.net)
Date: October 22, 2004 04:46PM

well i supose i am going to keep doing it the way that i do

as others have said the blank seems to bend the easiest that way and that is what i want the blank to do anyway

this way there is no extra resistance to the fish

tis is the best way i can put this like humans we bend foward the easiest and the spine is our back so i want the guides to be the front

i think i worded that right if not please tell me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster