I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need drill press help !
Posted by: john black (63.146.104.---)
Date: October 20, 2004 07:50PM

i have a harbour freight drill press that was under water for about 2 weeks last years when the floods hit south texas. plugged it in today and the motor wants to turn the shaft but won't. belts are off so i know its the motor. i can hear it straining but no go. is it history? can i soak the innards w/knocker loose for awhile and hope for the best or ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need drill press help !
Posted by: Noel Spann (198.214.51.---)
Date: October 20, 2004 09:16PM

John,
Maybe you could put a pipe wrench on the shaft (with it unplugged) and see if you can turn the shaft freely? If not maybe you can get it to turn with a little persuasion??
If no luck there I'd say its a trot line weight!!!
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2004 09:35PM

Sound like the bearings have had it, they usually aren't that expensive.
Even if you broke it loose the damage is done to the bearings and you won't be able to rely on them.

Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 20, 2004 10:22PM

I'm not a great fan of Harbor Freight's quality. I've seen too much negative feedback. If you want to go for a reasonably price import, I like Grizzly a whole lot better.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: October 21, 2004 12:08PM

Spencer Has it right. Stop trying to run the motor or you'll fry the brushes.

Date: October 21, 2004 03:22PM

Spencer Phipps wrote:

> Sound like the bearings have had it, they usually aren't that
> expensive.
> Even if you broke it loose the damage is done to the bearings
> and you won't be able to rely on them.

you're talking about the bearings on the shaft right? are they pressed on? would a new motor be cheap enough to not worry about this one?

Date: October 21, 2004 03:26PM

Rich Levy wrote:

> I'm not a great fan of Harbor Freight's quality. I've seen too
> much negative feedback. If you want to go for a reasonably
> price import, I like Grizzly a whole lot better.

no doubt. but i hate to throw away a working unit ( assuming i can get it to work) just to say i own a better brand. i've had a harbor freight sander that was pure junk so i agree w/your assesment of them though. this drill press i inherited.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2004 06:34PM

I have drill press that is also of similar quality, but from Northern Hydraulics.

The A.C. motor on your drill press is most likely a brushless induction motor. It also mostly likely has frozen bearings as someone already mentioned. They shoul dnot be all that difficult to replace. Some motors also use a starting capacitor. The best thing to do is to take the thing apart and clean out the motor as best you can. Many auto starter and alternator rebuild companies (see yellow pages) also rebuilt motors if you want to go that route. If worse comes to worst get another cheap motor from Harbor Freight - they stock some sizes or can order one for you...

Do not power the thing up if it is not turning - you will burn the windings out if you do so for too long.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster