I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides on a 12' surf rod
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 05:27PM

Can someone please tell me what guides will work best on a 12 foot uglystick surf rod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides on a 12' surf rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 06:31PM

We would need a bit more info, Don. What type reel are you using? Line size? Lure weight? Intended type of fishing? This info will help us zero in on what guide type might be best.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 08:28PM

I would also need more info to know how to advise. Otherwise I'd go with hardloy guides in the BNLG for casting and BSVLG for spinning. They're very inexpensive and work great. Good all around guides.

Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 10:26PM

Sorry I was in a rush. Well we will most likely be using 3-6 ounces sinkers on about a 30 pound test. This is a spinning rod. It will probably be equipped with a brand new Penn reel. I would really appreciate guide sizes and spacing for each guide. Prices would be helpful too. If you need some more info just let me know
Thanx,
~Don~ <°)>}}}}}}}}}}}><

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 10:45PM

Don - If you have spent much time on this board you'll understand that no one can give you spacing for that rod. Only you can detemine where the guides need to go through your own static distribution test.

Other than that the guide type I gave above will work fine. The BSVLG will be fine. You might try a 40 - 30 - 25 - 20- 16 and 12 and top or the new guide set-up in something like 40 - 20 - 16 and then 12's on out but again you've got the blank and the reel so only you can really determine the straight line path for that rod. It's sort of like asking me which color dress looks best on your wife without me seeing her or the dress. Every rod is different.

If you want some generic spacing which won't be great but will get you started you could go to some of the blank makers websites and try to match up a similar blank in length and power and go from there.

BSVLG guides would run you around $15 for a full set at retail.

Posted by: Dorge Huang (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 12:09PM

Don - I would really question the choice of the Penn reel (if you decide to use braid). If your decision is on mono then, Penn is also really not a great choice due to its ability to do line twist. I am not sure you are familiar with the Fuji low rider surf guides. If you really want performance I would go with a Daiwa Surf Z or even the emblem Z for that matter. You can get them from Cabela's or BPS. As for guide spacing, low rider is a total different animal since static load is not what you focus on but load when cast. Thus your spacing are pretty much determined by the action of the blank and the understanding of the Low Rider guide. The following URL should give you the concept idea. FYI, low rider set is a 20, 16,12, 10, 8,8 and a 10 top. Very slick indeed!

[www.fujitackle.com]

I understand it is in japanese, but picture have no language..LOL

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster