I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static deflection test. What am I looking for.
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 03:48PM

Hey guys thanks for all the help!!

This is a superior website Thanks to everyone.

Well I have my blank re painted my fuji ti sic guides have been prepped and my grip and reel seat are all set.

Im ready to tape the guides on per the factory charts and stress the rod ,

BUT, What am I looking for?, as Ive seen a rod bent like this many times but never payed much attention to the guides .

Thank you much Cuz im ,well ?????

Happy wraps
"John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static deflection test. What am I looking for.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 19, 2002 04:00PM

The line should roughly follow the curvature of the blank. On casting rods with guides on top, you would prefer that the line not touch the blank under load. If it does, then you may need to adjust spacing, add more guide/s or change guide frame style.

No matter what type rod you are building, the line should flow along with the blank without large flat spots between guides.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 19, 2002 04:42PM

Tom's got it right on the head. A simple test really, but can mean so much for good rod performance.
I've been taught something like 10 degrees angle or less deflection from the guide, but it's easier just to eyeball the curvature and how the line should easly be distributed through the guides, with distances preventing contact with the blank under load yet using just the right number of guides. Size of guides come less into play with static deflection testing, but that should also be your overall consideration for best line flow according to your blank and lure/line situation.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods.

Date: February 19, 2002 04:45PM

Tom,

I just thought of something Am I doing the right test for a flyrod as the guides are under the rod and flat spots will always be except maybe smaller with extra guides added.

Still confused but see what your saying for a casting rod with guides up! Or do I use this test but flip the flyrod upside down to stress it?

More help please!! Happy wraps "John"

Posted by: Clint Doak (---.casecorp.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 05:00PM

John,

I am brand new at this too, I have a suggestion for you and maybe you will not make the same mistake I did.

Tom Kirkman has a great book out called Rod-Building Guide that will explain the question that you asked but more so it explains the difference between a rod "builder" and a rod "assembler” unfortunately I assembled my first rod, only because I did not read his book until after I built it.

If you are looking to build a great rod, take the time and find out the difference between a builder and an assembler, I wish I had.
Clint Doak

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 19, 2002 05:14PM

Yes you will have some degree of flat spots, but by using enough guides you can minimize this to a great degree. If you flip the fly rod upside down and adjust the guides, or add enough guides, that the line does not touch the blank, you will be about right.

If you are using snake guides, however, you cannot keep the line off the blank in that position.

Date: February 19, 2002 09:28PM

Many thanks gents

It makes sense now . ill flip around and re position and test cast.

I am using fuji titanium sic single foots..

Happy wraps guys! "John"

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: February 21, 2002 01:40PM

I am an intermediate fly rod builder with maybe a dozen rods under my belt.

I always do a static deflection test on a fly rod. But I am not sure I think it is the most useful test.

Most important to me is that the line does not hit the blank when actually casting the rod. I do that first and look for places where I might get line slap. Usually due to oscillations coming though the first stripping guide, so I am a big fan of the 2 strippers close together.

Then I hold the rod out horizontally and look for big sags in the line. I think if the line sags a lot from gravity it increases the force necessary to get it though the guides. Balanced against that is the fact that each guide adds friction drag while it may reduce drag from line sagging. I use Tom's advise and go with as few of the SIC guides as I think I can.

Then I do the static deflection test and try small adjustments to get the angles about even with moderate to heavy loading on the rod.

I guess my only point is to look at the whole picture for a fly rod. Not just the static test. Probably not going to break a freshwater rod or rip a guide off just because the angles are a little out of kilter.

Posted by: Bill Tune (66.147.9.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 02:51PM

Can be a real problem if not done correctly. I had a rod actually break due to improper guide placement and this was on a blank noted for toughness! What I (as a relative newcomer) have noticed is that a move of 1/2 inch can make a big difference in rounding the line flow. Check some of your factory rods and I will bet you have some with angles over 10%.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster