I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Air Brush
Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: February 19, 2002 04:25PM

Has any tried air brushing a blank with a urathane finish? Also is there any information on painting a blank with an air brush using Createx AutoAir paint (have read something about aplying with a brush. Last are there rods with decorative air brushing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Air Brush
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 19, 2002 05:12PM

I have not used an air brush with any urethane type finish. Several years ago I did create two versions of a camofluaged rod for both stream and flats use. These were done with an airbrush and enamel paints.

Date: February 19, 2002 06:11PM

Thanks, are there any photos you might have or is there somewhere I can go and see some examples.

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: February 19, 2002 06:25PM

Enamels will work. Try Testors (Master series I believe). That is a high quality model paint that you can buy in small quantities. They also have the thinner in small quantities. WalMart, Hobby Lobby etc will carry it as well as hobby shops. I used to use Testor gold and silver with a caligraphy pen to do inscriptions. The only finish I found that will react with it is Crystal Coat. The epoxy finishes should not bleed it at all, just allow plenty of dry time.
Elrod

Date: February 19, 2002 11:08PM

Thanks Elrod

Posted by: Matt Davis (206.8.166.---)
Date: February 20, 2002 07:30AM

Do you have an airbrush?

If not, I have to put in a plug for Aztek. GREAT airbrushes! I currently have two Paasche's and an Aztek. The Aztek gets all the use. I've painted T-shirts, Muskie baits, jigging spoons, my daughters fingernails.... They are easy to maintain, user friendly, good quality, plenty of accessories, easy to switch from a fine set up to a heavy set up.... They have many models right up to one that is a mini spray gun. And I would be it can spray urethane.

Createx has some nice paints and thats what I use almost exclusively. They look kind of flat right out of the gun, but they really pop after they've gotten a clear cote. If you really want some good colors, House of Kolor's (?) has some awesome paints. They are an automotive paint company. But they can be used anywhere, helmets, snowboards, bike frames......

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 07:34AM

Felix,

A guy on this board has tryed using Createx AutoAir. I believe he said it worked just fine, as long as you top coat it with a clear urathane. Do a word search for "Createx". Find out who it was and email him. He will be able to tell you what he used and how it's holding up.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:57AM

Felix

The createx auto arbrush paint works very and like said down below its dull untill you clear coat it!

Its designed to to dry like a primer so as to allow the clear to grab onto.

the only hard part is spraying a urathane. Unfortunatly
one part out of the can urathanes have to be thinned too much to spray out of my Aztec brush.

The problem is that although you can spray the thinned "out of the can " urathane the urathane does not harden properly when that thin.

unless someone has done otherwise the reccomended auto clear coat by Sherwin williams should be used Or a off the shelf spray urathane like minwax spar .

the sherwin williams clearcoat works well but auto paints are $$$ and if you only have a blank to do once in a while the cost is prohibative.

your looking at about $85.00 to get set up with a quart of clearcoat. the base will last a while but the hardener has a shelf life.

spraying over the createx auto paint is the only option
as brushing on urathane is difficult due to the primer like surface of the paint when dry.

The urathane tends to drag rather than flow smoothly when using a brush or foam applicator.

Im going to try using the off the shelf spray can urathanes such as minwax spar etc this weekend. The automotive clearcoat does the job quite well but is too $$ in my opinion. Im determined to find somthing that works that can be had at a hardware or hobby shop. I may also try dipping like a bamboo blank.

Happy wraps "John"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster