I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

R.E.C. reel seats
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 08:43PM

Why do rec seats cost so much? Are they really better than a cheaper one. I saw a rec run for 150 dollars. So my question is whats so good about these things?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: R.E.C. reel seats
Posted by: Brian Thompson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2002 09:06PM

I had no idea they had any that cost that much! Someone will have to explain to me what it does that a Fuji does not!

You have got to assume that you are paying for some sort of exotic material or something and not performance. It is after all ... only a reel seat!

Posted by: john channer (---.pm3-12.durango.frontier.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 10:37PM

I just looked at REC's site, the base price for their most expensive seat is $54.00, you can upgrade the insert and run the price up another 20, they've discontinued the black pearl finish, so that $20.00 upgrade is out. I don't know what you saw that was $150.00.
john

Posted by: John Lohuis (---.uoregon.edu)
Date: February 16, 2002 11:18PM

I have used REC components and I chose them for their price as well as quality. I find their reel seats to be high quality but not prohibitively expensive.
Actually, many of their seats are comparable in price to Struble, both of which seem to be cheaper than Bellinger.

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: February 17, 2002 10:31AM

The REC, Struble, Bellinger and Venneri seats are all very nice. All make seats that range in price from affordable to expensive. The cost results from the quality of the machining, finish and materials used in these seats. Overall REC seats are in line with Strubble and Bellinger in terms of pricing. Some models of each are more or less than the others but overall they are comparable. I think the tolerances and finishes on the REC seats is exceptional. You get what you pay for and if you are looking for a beautiful compliment to a custom rod you can't go wrong with these seats.
I doubt they hold a reel any better than a Fuji seat (the purpose of the thing) but they are better looking.

Andy Snedden

Posted by: Andrew White (165.29.23.---)
Date: February 18, 2002 08:45AM

The prices are comparable with other high-dollar NS seats. The reason I personally choose REC over the others is that the folks working at REC will spend the time finding a specific piece of wood for me. I make my order, then e-mail them and say exactly what I'm looking for (figure, color, etc). I've never, ever been disappointed. The seats are expensive, but I feel like I always get my money's worth because of this personal attention.

Having said that, I'm sure some of the other makers of NS seats would do the exact same thing--I've just never felt the need to use anyone else.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.245.11.6.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 08:28PM

I've recently purchased an REC aluminum seat with a pewter finish and STABALIZED wood insert. Stabalized wood is wood that should have done all the expanding and contracting a block of wood could possibly go through until it settles to a final comfortable state. The wood stock is then cut to the desired shape (diameter) and finished. I think the REC hardware and choice wood inserts are far superior to other aluminum product lines. I will never go back. Plus you can get the winding check with a finish to match the reel seat hardware. Never have to use those ridiculous rubber winding checks again!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster