I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank warpage
Posted by: steve brownell (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2002 07:55PM

I hope this is not a question that has been covered before (I did a search of past posts) but is there any way to eliminate or "repair" slight warpage of a blank? Is a slightly warped blank a deal-breaker for a rod?

Thanks in advance for anyone with knowledge on this subject/question.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank warpage normal
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2002 08:14PM

I have never seen a blank that was not warped slightly. I believe that is the normal shape of almost all blanks. How much warpage or bend are you talking about? You cannot remove it, that is for sure.

Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2002 09:07PM

Every blank I have in my posession right now has a crook or bend in it. I am not sure what is considered beyond normal, but they all seem to have it.

Posted by: Jeff Thomson (---.lsanca1.vz.dsl.gtei.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 01:54AM

Maybe you guys have better eyes than I do, but none of my GUSA, St. Croix, Calstar blanks nor the one Gatti blank I have or had has any apparent warpage. This is not true for the Loomis or Lamiglas blanks I have or had.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2002 02:59AM

not all blanks in a batch will come out absolutely straight. Some manufacturers sell the straight ones to custom rod makers and compensate for the bends by placing the guides in relation to the bend and not the spine on their in house rods. I personally don't want a crooked one and will send it back for a straight one. most people I build for will sight down the rod to see how straight the rod is and are the guides aligned in a nice straight line. It is just easier to sell them a straight rod than to have to convince them a cooked one is ok.
Kerry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 09:57AM

I have bought tens of thousands of rod blanks over the past 25 years. Very few have been dead-on straight. I never mind a gentle overall bend, but will draw the line at severe cocking or a crook at the tip or at the ferrule. Most manufacturers I have dealt with have always been happy to swap for a better one.

A slight "warp" as you call it, will not harm your rod or its performance in any way. A very pronounced or exaggerated warp may warrant sending the blank back for a replacement.

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: February 08, 2002 10:48AM

When I first started building rods I use to get really upset at the slightest bend or warp in the blank. The vendors always took care of it but it was a huge hassle always sending them back.
I had occasion to build up some blems, which were in some instances, pretty warped. Then the funniest thing happened. More times than not, when the guides were installed and the rod finished, it was very hard to distinguish where the bends and crooks were.
My point being, that it is very, very hard to get a completely straight blank from certain mfr's so I finally realized that on most of the minor bends, you will hardly know it after the rod is built. As long as your guides are straight, it kind of offsets the bend in the blank. The worse ones are the long curves that don't coincide with the spine. I still have to send them back. I know Loomis just about made me crazy trying to get straight blanks. Lamiglas, which I have used a lot of seem to be as straight as any. I don't build many fly rods so I'm not as experienced on the long, light blanks.

Ray Alston

Posted by: steve brownell (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2002 11:39AM

Many thanks to all who responded - I'm much less concerned now given the comments posted.
The warpage is minimal towards one end of a 12wt. blank (Loomis) - so I will soldier through and start this project.

Posted by: George Payez (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 03:43PM

I have noticed that with some of the blems that I have built lately that any noticable warp or bend in the rod dissapears when a reel and line is threaded and even the slightest bit of weight is added (lure). I built a Shikari light spinning rod with a left hook (slight) and was very concerened about it, set it up for a test cast and under a 1/8 oz load the bend all but dissapeared. Just my observation hope it helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster