I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dammar Varnish
Posted by: mark brown (136.159.150.---)
Date: February 07, 2002 04:32PM

Has anyone here tried Dammar or other clear artist's varnish on silk wraps?

I was thinking of trying a coat or two of this before dipping in Spar varnish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dammar Varnish
Posted by: gary (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 09, 2002 08:20AM

I've used Winston&??? (the brand you find at all art stores That I can't remember right now) I've used their retouching varnish and exterior varnish. The retouching is clear but takes forever to dry completely and does not build up. The exterior is nice. Gives good penatration and dries well. Small bottle so you are not wasteing alot also. Only problem is I can't find it anymore. My local store is going to try and special order it.
HTH
Gary

Posted by: john channer (---.pm3-11.durango.frontier.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 08:42AM

Mark;
I've tried it. It is about 90% turpentine, or so it seems, and takes forever to dry on it's own. Flood the wraps with the first coat, then put on a second coat of spar varnish in an hour or so, the dryers in the spar will make the Dammar set up. Let dry for at least 24 hrs, then finish coating the wraps as usual before you dip the rod. I think warmed Man-O-War works just as well.
john

Posted by: Rob Longley (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2002 07:29PM

Because I have never built a rod, I can't speak for the usefulness of damar varnish in this particular application. But because I am an artist I can speak a bit about damar in general.
Damar is soluble in turpentine, but not in mineral spirits, and that is one of the things that makes it useful as an artist's medium. It dries fairly hard, though it can be brittle, and so it is usually mixed with linseed oil. Mixing it with linseed oil will slow the drying time; straight damar varnish dries pretty quickly, depending on the thickness of application. Retouch varnish is a thinned version of damar.
Winsor Newton is one supplier for damar varnish at art supply stores. Grumbacher is another. Utrecht has stores in a couple of major cities, as well as an internet catalog, and you can buy damar crystals from them so that you can mix your own damar varnish. Basically, you suspend a cheesecloth bag of crystals in turpentine unitl they dissolve. That way you may get any strength that you desire.
Winsor Newton also makes an acrylic based varnish that is soluble in mineral spirits, but not in turpntine, called Winton picture varnish. It is very clear (damar yellows) and is more flexible than damar. When I am varnishing my paintings this is what I use.

Hope this is helpful, Rob

Posted by: mark brown (---.mccaig.ucalgary.ca)
Date: February 12, 2002 06:48PM

THANKS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster