I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

suppliers - need suggestions rod blanks for school project
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: February 07, 2002 03:11PM

Attention suppliers:
I have been asked to assist some Technology Teachers (in my day, it was “shop”) at one of our local high schools with a program called BRAVE. They set up programs for “at risk” students, or any other student who wants to attend in an attempt to get them more involved in school. We have decided to have a 5-session class on rod building. Pretty cool eh!

I am trying to put together a budget proposal. I am passing on my wholesale costs to the school. I want to find some decent blanks, nothing high end, but something that they can use to fish with and that they will be proud to show other anglers and peers that they made. We will basically be assembling parts. I am looking for suggestions for some spin and baitcast model blanks that are affordable that I can get at wholesale pricing. And they need to be readily available, as we will have our parts order meeting next week and hope to start building two weeks after that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can post your reply on this board or send an email direct to me at rodmaker@thesurf.com

Thank you
Buzz Butters
B & B Custom Flies and Rods &
City of Ripon Police Department

A side note. If your local police department is looking for some way to do some one on one with the local youth here is an idea they may want to look at. Throughout my career in law enforcement (22 years and still going) I have noticed that there are a number of kids that DARE and other programs are not reaching. And while these types of programs may have some positive influence it isn’t easy to tell. A couple of years ago I started giving out used fishing rods and reels to youth that I found near our local pond that did not have any fishing gear. We have a 50 some acre fishing pond in Ripon that gets a lot of fishing pressure from young and old alike. If I saw a group of kids fishing I went up to them and asked them how the fishing was. If one of their group did not have a rod and reel, I went and got them a used one from my shop at home. (still working on getting the Chief to put a rod rack in the squad car !!) My expense is minimal. I go to garage sales and buy used equipment, fix the rods and reels and then give them away. The word has spread to where fishing clubs donate some of their used to equipment to me for this program. Some anglers have donated new combo set-ups that I give to needy children at Christmas time in cooperation with our Shop With A Cop Program. Cost you see is at a minimum.

When I give them the gear I also give them a copy of the regulations. I do a follow up a couple of days later at their home by quizzing them on some of the basic fishing laws. Fish ID, size and bag limits, the usual. This way the parent(s) know that they got the rod and reel without stealing it. So far the feedback has been great. Have we slowed down crime? Don’t’ know. I do know that a lot more of the local youth are waiving to police and this time using all five fingers! I have had several juvenile criminals come down to the police department to update the officers on the local fishing conditions. Previous visits usually have these same persons wearing cuffs.

Something to think about.
Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: suppliers - need suggestions rod blanks for school project
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 07, 2002 04:22PM

Buzz,
You might want to have a look at some of the Forecast import blanks. These are very good entry level and affordable blanks.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: February 07, 2002 04:27PM

Thanks Rich,
I will check them out.
Buzz

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: February 07, 2002 04:59PM

I think the Forecast blanks from Batson are exactly what you are looking for. You might also contact Tom at Mudhole and enquire about Lamiglas blems or their 'house' blanks which are a great value.

As a former educator I have a special discount for bona fida educational institutions and educators. Let me know if i can help out.

Andy Snedden
Custom Rodbuilders Supplies

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean1.eticomm.net)
Date: February 07, 2002 05:42PM

Buzz; Go over to Mudhole andcheck out theregraphite finished rod blanks under the "Special" listin or maybe the no name blank below that

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2002 06:53PM

Buzz,
I think you might want to have me send you my close out catalog on rod building components we have 40,000 blanks in stock and they start at alot lower than any other place. Just email me your mailing address and we can send you our close out catalog.
Thanks
Neal w/Neal's Fishing Product

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster