I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine
Posted by: Doug Meharry (---.mssl.uswest.net)
Date: February 06, 2002 02:22PM

I have searched and read most of the previous posts on finding the blank spine and constructing your own "spine finder". Now I am confused. I know what the spine is and the basic concept of rolling one end on the floor or a table and that it pops when you hit the spine.

But from reading through previous threads is there a vertical and a horizontal spine? Is there more than one way to check the spine? If you have a 2 section rod do you check and mark each section individually?

I have built one fly rod, a GL3 9' 5 wt. and the way that I found the spine on that rod was rolling on the floor multiple times. The reason I checked multiple times was because I wasn't sure of what I was doing and wanted to check myself. I also did this for both sections of the rod seperately and then with the rod put together. Is this the correct way to check the spine before you build a rod?

Thanks, Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 06, 2002 02:26PM

Doug,

I think you have been confused by the term vertical and horizontal as it applies to two types of spine finders - one functions with the blank horizontal while the other functions with the blank in the vertical position. They both find the same effective spine.

There are many methods for locating the spine, all the best ones make it easy for you to find that location where, when pressured, the blank will settle into a curve of least resistance. This is the position where it wants to stay put.

On multi-piece rods you should check for the spine individually and then assemble and check again. The overlap at the ferrule can cause the effective spine effect to shift slightly and thus you will make any minor changes with the blank assembled.

Sounds to me like you did everything correctly.

Posted by: Don Morton (---.cybrtyme.com)
Date: February 06, 2002 05:22PM

Doug, I think you are in the ball game. Use the material that Tom gave you and try this to get the rod set-up correctly without much of the confusion. If it is a multi piece rod spine each section as Tom directed and when you have the rod section together, place the butt end on a table or other smooth surface and press down. The rod will roll to a spine, turn it and feel the spines. Now select the place on the rod where the rod "locks in", or in other words the place where it is hardest to turn while you have it bent to about 90 degrees. Once you have found this spot mark it and place the guides on the outside of the curve. This will be the position where the guides will need to be placed for the rod to "track" or said another way, the position for guide placement where the rod will not torque on the cast or the retreve. The spine will hold the rod straight on the cast and the guides on the bottom will hold the rod on the retreve. Tape the guides on the rod and run your line through them and pull the rod back into a casting position and then forward in a fish fighting position and see if the rod stays straight in all fishing positions. If it does you have it set-up correctly, if it doesn't back to llthe drawing board.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2002 09:56PM

Remember to use very low frame guides on the upper section of the rod. Otherwise the force of the line seeking the lowest postion will overcome the spine effect and you will get twist on really powerful casts.

Posted by: Kelly Verge (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2002 12:03AM

Don-

Thanks for the best explanation of guide placement -vs- spine I've seen on on this board yet (probably should do a search for spine...).

I assume that your description is for a spinning rod. Your explanation also hints at why spiral wraps work well for casting rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster