I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Rod Finish?
Posted by: Dave Parrillo (---.pvd.ri.110.net)
Date: May 23, 2004 09:58AM

What do you guys consider the best rod finish? I've been using Glass Coat and like it, but I would like to try others that may be more available for me to purchase locally. What do you like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Rod Finish?
Posted by: Jason Weber (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2004 10:15AM

Well in my opinion this is an unanswerable question. I like many finishes but I don't consider any the best. I like different ones for different applications. And the finishes that I like may not be the ones other people consider the best.

Bottom line- try different ones. There are many listed on this board everyday. When you find one that you like use it.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 23, 2004 12:26PM

I think Jason is right on, here. What someone else thinks is the best I might really dislike and what they don't like is my favorite. Try them yourself, I don't think there are any out there that aren't good if you use them (mixing, etc.) the way they need to be.

Putter

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: May 23, 2004 12:55PM

Klass Kote is an ultra-thin epoxy paint, and applies like a varnish. Must be ordered though. Clear, no bubbles, levels well.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: May 23, 2004 03:30PM

The one You Use is the best.

To elaborate on the good advise from Randy and Jason. Pick one and stick to it. I have tried several and the one I go back to is the first one I used. Not because it's the best in a quality sense (every one I have tried is top quality). It's that I know the peculiarities of that one, I know how to apply it and get the results I want, and I don't want to spend the time to learn another.

Christian

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (69.26.69.---)
Date: May 24, 2004 09:02AM

Most of the known and tried finishes are good. Qualities vary for some purposes. Here is what I think are a few considerations and differences among a few better known brands:

Flex Coat... Very Popular and widely used. Comes in either the standard Hi-Build Formula and the lite build version.
The pot life makes this usable for any rod builder and has what might be considered a 'standard' drying time. The odd bubbles which may form can be easily 'popped' by gentle heat application.

LS Supreme....Also very popular for those liking a lower viscosity formulation and longer working pot life. It is very clear, and usually may require more than one application for complete coverage. The new Hi Build formulation may suit better for one coat coverage, but it's thick to work with. Bubbles are less problem, but don't apply heat after application.

Glass Coat.... An excellent professional grade of high build finish with similar pot life to flex coat. It dries faster than most finishes making it great for rod repair and also the one coat coverage makes is a favorite for butt wraps and larger wraps such as on s/w or large freshwater wraps. Glass Coat is extremely clear and pleasing in the final attribute. The formulation has 'bubble busting' properties, but heat may be applied gently after application to facilitate leveling.

Clear Coat....from Amtak is a very good overall two part epoxy coating for rod wrapping. Comes in hi build and lite build formulation. It's overall ease of use and ratings make it a popular choice for durability, clarity, and value.

Permagloss... is a urethane type based wrap coating that you don't mix two parts as it's not an expoxy type of finish. The application may require several coats, and is generally more popular as a tradition finish for lighter wraps on fly rods where you don't want a less lustrous coating over the wraps.

Formulations of two part epoxies are out there such as the new Pacific Bay Rodsmith Finish which are basically of some variation in features from the basic popular used ones above. They all serve an excellent purpose to the rod builder. You might use certain ones for some applications of preference, and another type for variation to what you might be doing such as wanting a quicker drying formula, a varnish type non-mixing formula, a clearer formula, etc. etc.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster