I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod balance - uplock or downlock seat?
Posted by: Preston Quan (---.rim.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 10:40AM

Hi,

I'm building a 4 wt fly rod and I'm just about to order a reel seat. I'm concerned about the balance of the rod.

Given that the actual reel placement on an uplocking versus downlocking reel seat is a good 1 inch (I would say) does this have a major impact on balance? Is this why they actually do make up versus down locking seats?

If anything I think my rod will be top heavy...therefore should I order a downlocking seat to get the reel as far back as possible?

Given that I only want to order 1 seat what's my best way of determining which style of seat...or are they made simply for personal preference and don't have much impact on balance.

Thanks in advance,
Preston

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod balance - uplock or downlock seat?
Posted by: John Minnerath (---.WYOMING.COM)
Date: February 01, 2002 10:51AM

On a really light rod, moving a reel an inch makes a big difference in feel. There is a nice new seat by Venneri called the up-down, has a hood under the cork and one at the butt with a single slide band so the reel can be mounted either way. Or, build a seat with double slide bands and you can position the reel anywhere on the seat to get the best balance for the rod.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: February 01, 2002 04:40PM

I like downlocking reel seats on 4 wts because I like to use a light reel and have the rod balance nicely when I am holding it. I also like to have my hand down near the reel like it is on an uplocking for casting. I use a downlocking and shape the handle in a 1/2 wells so that I can slide my hand down partly on the reel seat.

But what I really like is the sliding band uplocking reel seat from Venneri. It saves the space for all the screw threads so you get the reel up next to the cork but save about 1" in overall length of the seat. Holds tight too.

Posted by: John Kuebler (---.tnt2.tucson.az.da.uu.net)
Date: February 02, 2002 12:30PM

Do you balance a fly rod with the line rigged or not, hmmm...?

Posted by: John Minnerath (---.WYOMING.COM)
Date: February 02, 2002 08:42PM

Rod balance has been tossed around, debunked and rebunked in every tackle shop in the world; it was going on before I ever picked up a rod and that's over 5 decades.

I think the original question here was about keeping a rod/reel combination from feeling excessivlly either tip or butt heavy. With short, very light rods, it can be a problem. having a reel seat that will move the reel can add much to how the rod feels in the hand, line out or not. Usually it's a problem of the reel being heavy, as super light reels are hard to find in a size to match say a rod weighing in around an ounce or ounce and a half.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: February 04, 2002 09:28AM

To John Kuebler:

For me balance in a flyrod is important, but not down to a few grams. As long as the rod balances approximately with a reel full of line, then it will be close enough with 20 or 30 feet of line out. The total weight of 30 feet of 4 wt is about 1/4 oz, so not a huge shift. But it has to be initially close enough to be able to balance with your hand somewhere on the handle.
Balance is important to me when holding the rod, carrying it, and fishing with it. Static balance is not important in casting, and in fact, rods cast better with the reel as close to the hand as possible regardless of the fact that it is "tip heavy".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster