I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap
Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: February 01, 2002 10:04AM

I was just looking at some examples of others work on spiral wraps and was wondering what is the difference between spiraling CW or CCW around the blank (looking from the butt). I have a couple of spiral wraps that were built 15 years ago by a rodmaker who introduced me to this phenomenon and they are still the best casting rods I own. They wrap CCW. Some of the examples I've seen on the web wrap CW.

Ray

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap
Posted by: Sang An (---.east.saic.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 10:45AM

Personal preference, really. I wrap CCW since I think it counterbalances the cranking on the right, but others wrap CW so that a bass rod will lay on the boat without breaking guides if someone were to step wrong.

Posted by: Will Parham (---.nationwide.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 01:02PM

As far as performance, it makes no difference which way you spiral. I do it CW. I do not have a reason other than that is the way I have always done it.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (199.35.91.---)
Date: February 01, 2002 02:49PM

Did my first spiral wrap (cw) on a 13' float rod. I love the way it casts and I haven't had anyproblems (except for the strange looks on the river) getting a drift or with fighting a fish. I'm going to use it exclusively on the casting rods I build from now on. Thanks to everyone on the board who helped me with the lay out of the rod.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 05:43PM

Ray,

I build baitcasting rods with the "Yorkshire corkscrew", and to answer your question. I place the spiral on the side of the rod that the reel handles will be on. That way when you lay the rod down, it holds the guides off of the floor of the boat. It makes no difference to the performance of the spiral.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 05:48PM

Only problem now is anyone doing a search for info has to feed in 10 different names to find all of it.
John

Date: February 01, 2002 07:18PM

I did not mean to throw a "corkscrew" into the works. If a moderator wants to add the words: spiral guide wrap, to my post in the title or body, do it.

Bill Doherty

Re: Spiral Wrap or something else?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 02, 2002 11:29AM

Good Point John,
Whether by the name of "yorkshire corkscrew", or the "yankee twist", "tornado wrap", "acid wrap", or "canadian direct line path counter clockwise modified spiral guided missile wrap" , I think the pattern over the years that is known to custom rodbuilders will have individual variations and preferences. More the concept of design matched to function and the blank at hand.
The important thing is that the design is meant for the particular function of the rod you propose to build, for example 'stability' but also improvements that will allow further casting distance or better fish handling characteristics. I also like to think that not only guide distance and angle placements is important, but also the 'total' matching component selection process from blank to guide type and size. Also taking into account the stuff that will be attatched to the rod for optimal performance (that is the reel and line type).

I usually wrap CCW. Don't ask me why, other than habit.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: February 02, 2002 11:53AM

After listening to all the answers on this question it got me to thinking. I'm primarily a bass fisherman fishing from the deck of a bassboat. I notice that a good portion of the time a right handed fisherman will fight his fish off to the right if possible. Left handers do the same. Also when casting, the right handers tend to cant to the right and left handers to the left. Do you think this might have any bearing on which way would be best to wrap depending on whether the customer is right or left handed.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Date: February 02, 2002 12:37PM

Ray,

No. I am right handed, but I sometimes "flip" with my left hand. I can tell no difference. Again, I think if you reasearch some reading material, you will find it makes no difference. All the builders I have talked to put the spiral on the side of the rod that the reel handles will be on. Down the road, if you switch reels and the handles are on the opposite side, the only thing lost is that little extra protection the handles provided.

Bill Doherty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster