I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

renzetti 8 spool thread carriage
Posted by: John Raymond (---.as1.sfld.mi.voyager.net)
Date: April 11, 2004 11:15PM

Can some one explain to me how you run 8 spools at once under tension, and why you would want to? John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: renzetti 8 spool thread carriage
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2004 11:39PM

John,
Its very easy to do as you can use several colors together to give you a different kind of design. I don't have the Renzettie wrapper but do have the American Tackle kind of wrapper and have done it with 4 different spools of thread. I am sure some of the ones that have this machine might have some other ways and idea's that I would also like to learn about.
Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products
www.nealsfishingtackle.com

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.155.87.41.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: April 12, 2004 06:48AM

I've run two at a time, you just lock in one, then the other. I suppose you could keep doing it until you have all 8 loaded if you really wanted to...

I seriously doubt that anyone has ever bothered to run all 8 spools at a time, but I love having my 8 most popular colors loaded up and ready to go when I have a free half-hour to wrap.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2004 07:54AM

People run multiple spools all the time to fill the background of wraps in. I don't, but I know several that do, including one of the Legends. Yeah you need to have multiples of teh same color, but when you figure the cost of 8 spools of Black vs the total price of a custom rod - you save the money in time saved wrapping the background.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.155.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 12, 2004 08:51AM

I don't use the thread carriage/feed on decorative wraps. I hold the strands in my fingers and can run 8 that way. I guess I'm more like Mike - I like having the most popular colors I use loaded and ready to go anytime I need them. I also have a 40 spool thread feed although I don't use it much.

If you do much in the way of rod repair, having 8 thread colors ready to go can be a real time saver.

A tip:

Take all the associated pieces off the spool thread shaft and reverse everything so that the spring tensioner is on the inside. Now when you want to change a spool you no longer have to fool with removing and replacing the spring and it's washers. You simply removed the wingnut and the flat washer, the brass washer and the spool.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: April 12, 2004 10:33AM

Billy- what would be the point of loading more than one of the same color? It just takes longer to get started and tie off, and makes packing more of a pain. With a single spool, on a Renzetti, even a 9" or 10" base wrap on a very fat rod only takes a minute or two. I can't imagine one would save any time with more than one spool going at a time.

The only time I've used tow at a time is to dull the brightness of a metallic thread. I'll sometimes run one spool of 'glitzy gold' at the same time as one spool of 'pearl' to get a more subtle gold wrap. I have also experimented with running one 'black' with one 'black/silver,' which gave an interesting dotted pattern.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 12, 2004 11:42AM

Q: "what would be the point of loading more than one of the same color?"

A: "to fill the background of wraps in"

Nothing to do with tie offs. Same how Tom wraps 8 threads at once with his fingers, you can do the same with an 8-spool. I never did this, but I assume there would be minimal learning curve, as opposed to figuring out how to get even tension and no threads crossing over or tangling when you wrap multiples using your fingers. I'm not saying wrapping multiples with your fingers is impossible, Jack Justis wraps like 11 or 12 threads at once - but it's gotta be a lot easier to do so off the carriage.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.19.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 12, 2004 01:24PM

Yes, no and maybe. If you make sure to cut any double ends so all 8 stands are singles, and rake your hand through them a few times to get any twist out, they don't tangle much if at all.

Most closed wraps, even the most intricate multi-axis ones, are 1-hour or 1 and half hour jobs start to finish once you've done enough of them, and done them often enough.

I suppose it's equally easy to do this with the thread carriage/feed. Maybe easier, I can't really say as I haven't bothered to try it working off the thread feed. I started doing closed wraps back in the 70's before such things as 8 spool thread feeds and powered rod lathes were available. It's how I taught myself and so I just kept it up over the years. Maybe I should try it right off the thread feed just to see if I'm missing something that might be even easier or better.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 12, 2004 02:14PM

Tom, thanks for the tip on the spring set up!!!.......I owe you 10 bucks for that tip!!! John, I've never used it with an 8 thread "ribbon" of thread to fill in close wraps, but 2-3 threads at a time can save alot of time on decorative wraps, its also very convenient to have your common shades right in front of you and ready to go.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.or4.marketscore.com)
Date: April 12, 2004 03:52PM

I 've always done just as Tom says,8 -10 threads cut from ONE spool of thread( this insures that they're all from the same dye lot)..rake thru them a couple times & watch them repel each other. ( you can go as high as you want, but 8-10 is about the max & still have ALL the threads within the band stay uniformly tight).
The only 'precaution' to this method is that the work benck must be CLEAN, as I just toss the threads' ends out onto the table behind the lathe.The threads will 'snag' anything laying on the table !!

The ONLY time I use all 8 spools ( of different colors), is when I do a "Banded Beauty Wrap" as Dale Clemens called it..just wrap the band up & back as a chevron or diamond( I don't cut any threads untill the wrap is done) & let the colors develop as the wrap is made
( random). It's a very fast buttwrap!

The 8 spool carriage does indeed work great for this.The setup of 8 spools takes longer than the wrap. I think I have one around here..I'll post a pic after while.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 12, 2004 04:27PM

See, the hidden secret to wrapping bands of thread with your fingertips - brushing them out so they untwist.

Harv - I took a Plano 3700 and drilled a bunch of holes, using what Jesse showed us, even I was able to wrap multiple threads. Although the threads still got tangled up, I was semi-able to control them, as I do a few more wraps, I'll be banging out complex wraps in no time. Of course, I'll then swith and start doing split patterns with shaded reversed backgrounds, just so it takes me forever anyway.

Posted by: John Raymond (---.as2.sfld.mi.voyager.net)
Date: April 12, 2004 07:04PM

Thanks for all the info guys, i would like to see some one do a demonstration on one of these machines. it would be a great learning experience. I have had my renzetti for over a year now , great piece of equipment. Wrapping with it is like having a 3 rd. hand. Will have to start traveling to some of these seminars to improve my skills. Tight Lines, John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.205.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 13, 2004 12:05AM

I wrap up to 12 threads at a time. I have two uprights that I wrap the thread around till I get the number I want. Cut off the spool. Slid off one end and cut the loops, run them though my fingers and then maybe use a pin to make sure. As I wrap I keep checking to make sure they are laying flat. Takes a little practice. Is a big time saver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster