I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

turning cork grips
Posted by: John Chaney (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: January 28, 2002 11:30AM

I am about ready to turn my first grip, do you use a mandrel or glue the rings on the blank and then turn? I am a little scared of turning the grip on the blank cause if I mess up I'm stuck. Can you all give me any advice here?
Thanks,
John Chaney

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turning cork grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 28, 2002 11:44AM

Either way will work fine. If you do not have access to long rod lathe, then turning your grips on a mandrel is your best bet.

Lightly coat the mandrel with paraffin wax (this is so you can get it off later) and glue up your grip. Clamp to remove any voids and let cure a full day. Turn away. When you're done you just pop the grip off the mandrel and ream to fit.

It may help you to prebore your rings large enough, and use a corresponding sized mandrel, so that the amount of reaming you have to do is very minimal.

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: January 28, 2002 12:03PM

I've been turning my cork on a mandrel because I was afraid the speed on my wood lathe was to high to do it on the rod. What speed do most use to turn the cork on the blank. I would prefer to do it on the blank as it would center better.

Thanks
Ray

Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: January 28, 2002 04:37PM

If you do it on blank just put masking tape on blank right in front of grip and where you will be supporting the other end.. Dont worry about screwing up the cork because you can always remove it from blank.. I have turned handles both ways and I do prefer turning grip on rod.. Thanks Davesrods

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: January 28, 2002 05:41PM

the slowest speed on my lathe is 600 rpm. My biggest worry is that the blank will get to whipping and jump out of steady rest. I've been meaning to take an old piece of blank and give it a try....

Ray

Posted by: Russell Monroe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2002 09:20PM

It may do that for sure. I learned the hard way and though my blank did not jump out it did rise up and contact the support and cut a groove all the way around it. The blank was ruined. I would turn it on a mandrel unless you have the perfec set-up or something like the renzetti lathe for turning an entire rod safely.

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 01:58PM

When I first started buiding rods, I turned all of my handles on the blank. Someone, I don't remember who, showed me how to deal with rod whip. Put a tip on the rod with a dab of hot melt glue, so you can remove it later, then lay a single sheet of newspaper over the blank,(you may want to protect with masking tape). The weight of the paper will keep the tip from whipping around. It really works! Bob Vasko

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster