I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Equal Angle System Questions
Posted by: Lee Muschler (---.217.206.125.charter-stl.com)
Date: January 27, 2002 12:09PM

I have been experimenting with the new Equal Angle System. All seems to work well except the set-up point (where the blank deflects 1/2") always seems too close to the butt end when I do it. For example, I just measured a Spinning Rod blank, and the set-up point is almost right where the last guide (i.e. guide closet to the reel handle) would normally go. I know this will vary with action, but this is an extra fast jig-spin blank. I would think the set-up would move much farther down towards the handle if I were using a moderate action blank.

Is there a trick to flexing the blank? I measured the 90 degree point with T-Square so I am pretty sure this part is accurate.

Thanks for any ideas here.

Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Equal Angle System Questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 03:17PM

You can easily eyeball the 90 degrees. What you need to remember is that the more pressure you put on the blank, the further down that 90 degree bend will move down the blank.

You're just looking for the place where it first forms a 90 degree bend and where it first deviates from vertical is your set-up point. On a very fast action blank, this would be in the upper 1/3rd of the blank. If it isn't, you don't have a fast action blank.

Date: January 27, 2002 04:03PM

Tom:

Thanks for the reply. I had been pulling on the tip (same angle as you would fight a fish). However, if I push down on the tip with my finger, the flex of the rod is different and the set-up point moves up. Depending on the angle of force you use to flex the tip makes a big different on how the blank curvature. All of this seems somewhat inexact and makes me wonder how to do it right. It might be one of those things you need to see in person, or have somebody watch you do it.

Lee......

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 04:12PM

I won't argue with the thing about seeing it in person. Don't press down on the tip, just lightly flex the blank from the tip until it forms a 90 degree bend. Remember that it will flex much farther than that when you fight a good fish, but all we're doing here is setting up the guide placement and we just need someplace to begin.

I assume you realize that more guides are also placed behind the set-up point, and they are located according to the guidelines listed in the article.

Please follow up with any other questions. I think Don Morton (the originator) would agree that the system is very simple, albeit very hard to explain in words sometimes.

Date: January 27, 2002 09:09PM

I've studied the article fairly intensely so I knew that more guides go behind the set-up point. That's why I felt something was wrong when it looked like the set-up point would end up being the first butt guide (closest to reel seat).

Your latest comments give me a much better feeling for this. I just have to develop a comfort level with flexing the blank in a proper and consistent manner (which shouldn't take too much more practice with the extra advice you have given me).

I would agree that it is very simple, I am commited to using the equal angle system from now on. The exactness of matching the guide placement to the individual characteristics of a blank is very appealing to me. Even with my slight "learning hiccups" I can already see that its much faster than the stress testing/test casting cycle that I currently use (although I still plan to do some test casting).

Thanks again for all of your help. I'll let you know how I come out.

Lee

Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2002 09:20PM

Here's a tip that might help too. Pressure the blank pretty good. Then remove the pressure and continue removing it until the blank firsts moves out of a 90 degree bend. Then back up and apply just enough pressure to get the 90 degree bend back. That should help you find that point where it first forms that degree of bend and that is where I understand you want to start at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster