I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro-Staffers
Posted by: Michael Brundridge (---.austtx.swbell.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 11:52AM

I searched the board and did not find anything releating to this subject.

I am getting my business underway, and am looking to add Pro-Staffers as a way to add sales. My questions are related to what do most Pro-Staffers expect. I am attempting to pickup a couple of individuals right now, and have one ready to sign on. He is asking for roughly $2500 dollars worth of high end rods for one year at no charge, and release of one rod for every 5 rods sold by him.

If at the end of the year he has not sold 60 rods, he will return the remaining product to me. At which time if we continue the agreement, he will receive the same amount of new product again.

Do any of you have Pro-Staffer's working for you to promote your product, and if so, how did you work out the contract. If you do not want to discuss it here, you can send me email and we can converse that way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro-Staffers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 12:07PM

I do not want to infringe on anyone's right to do business as they see fit, but as someone who has quite a bit of experience in the custom rod business, I think I have some idea of those things that benefit and those things that are detrimental.

It is very unlikely that having a team of Pro-Staffers use your rods, at your enpense, is going to result in you making a lot of custom rod sales. In rare cases, some builders have found such a program to be beneficial. Most, however, have found it be a drain on their finances and resources that never paid off.

This is a good topic for discussion. Others who have tried such a program are encouraged to sumit their experiences here. Let's keep it civil (I know some have had really bad experiences in this area) and productive. Perhaps we can all learn something about marketing through such a Pro-Staff arrangement.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.62.mhub.grid.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 12:48PM

You have to look at several factors:

Who is the person? Famous? Does he win tournaments? Does his face show up on TV or advertisements? Of the time that he is seen by the public, how much of that time will be spent specifically showing off your rods?

Sounds like you are looking for a distributer rather than a pro-staffer.

What is the $2500 number? Is that the retail or wholesale cost of the rods? That is a hocky load of cash to put out for unknown benefits.

You may well be served to approach a local tackle shop and strike a commission deal.

The only problem with both of these ideas is that you have now idea how your rods will look when returned. By the time they are handled by potential customers, stuffed in and out of vehicles, and abused in general, they may not be in condition to even sell. Is he going to pay for damage to the rods if they are not sold?

I had this opportunity once, I hurt the boy's feelings.

On and On and On!!!!!!!

Re: Pro-Staffers DO COST
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 06:44PM

Mike I belive that every excellant rod builder has had the same thought about having a pro-staffer use and evalueate his rods. Well haveing a pro-staffer use your rods cost. These guys well use and abuse your rods and also would expect some kind of monitary compensation for there time and experience. I made a good living from just word of mouth I started out a sport shows. I personaly made each rod I poduced and my rods were not mass produced they were built for each individual.
Bob

Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 06:45PM

There are many other ways to sell your rods other than giving them away to guy. As mike has pointed out there are many factores to consider all of which are detramental to your gross income for the year. There are always going to be people who want something for nothing and by paying people in goods is not always the best outcome. If you are going to do this then i suggest you get him to signe an agreement on terms and conditions or even a performacne related contract, if you dont perform i dont relate. I think he is having a go at you i wouldnt pay anyone in rods if they whant the rod then this is how much if you are going to support me as a pro staffer then this is how much and by the way i want it in the form of a contract if he is serious then he will signe if he is fony then he wont. Dont pay him what you have told as other wise you are getting riped off big time stick with money only and a firm contract stating what he must sell or contribute to in the form of sales each year if dosnt meet this then you have the right to fine him thats how i do it down under and it works for me. If people think they can walk over you then they will but if show them that you have done your homework and start talking contracts then you will soon sort out the men from the girls play there bluff.

Stuart Mackenzie
Precision Rods
Australia

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 27, 2002 07:03PM

Interesting subject and I have a bit of experience about sponoring pro staffers, but mainly with a couple of tackle companies and not specifically tied to our custom rod name.
I'd have to agree with Stu about the fact that there are those who would want a lot for a little (or something for nothing in his words).
Seems Michael would be giving away a lot and not to say the plan is not feasable, that sounds about like a 20% commission fee if I get the numbers correct. That is simply very high, but who's to say it's not a convincing proposition? That is for Michael to decide in the end.

The experience I am having with pro staffers is more with a couple of tackle company name which I have introduced professional or tournament fishermen though my dealership as them representing their product (St. Croix Rods is one). This is an arrangement between the pro-staffer and the company. I do this with also 2 other famous lure companies. The idea is that the pro staffers already like the product and are committed to help in its promotion, and the company will sponsor them with various amount of product or discount as to the written agreements. I am just a facilitator in this case, it helps bring recognition to my full time tackle business, and it's also because I believe in the effectiveness and quality of the products myself . It's indeed a mutual relationship and is based on more than just someone wanting something for nothing. It's a committment that costs time and money, but it can be more than interesting for your tackle business.

Having said this, it is interesting the possibilities that a custom rodbuilder (individual) may want pro staffers that could help sell their rods?? Some do this, but my belief is that if this is the ONLY basis for the relationship (lure of big bucks??), it can be risky business. If the relationship is based more on interest that the persons whom you designate as you pro-staffers have something to offer in return to help you with making better custom rods, or perhaps in tournament situations, etc. I think you'll get much more satisfaction by this, but the lure of the buck may dictate it otherwise, and each situation can be for it's own determination.

I am considering on a local level to actually name a pair of tournament anglers to be a prostaffer with our custom rods. It's more because we are closer tied with their interests and committment in believing that our rods and advice indeed helped their tournament fishing success. I know them personally, and the committment is more than anything to do with them selling rods by commission. It is more in the interest of building them a competetive rod for their fishing. So in a sense, I am the more selfish one in getting them to give professional feedback about the rods that is more valuable information to me in the long run.
Just to also inject the notion that you do not have to give away a good product, as even the 'pro staffers' will pay for the rods and happy to do so if it helps them win money.

Things may be entirely a different situation with others from where I sit.

Just my thoughts.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2002 07:33PM

If the guy really believes in your product and wants to help out then you may be wise to work something out for him. If he just wants your rod because he can get them for free then watch out!

Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt4.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 08:39PM

I have a professional guide that I am building rods for. the only thing he asked for is have his name and my name on them. he really likes my work and I am giving him a discount . I will not loose any money and I will get advertisement since many , I do mean many people will get to use these rods. So I would look for a charter service who has any where from one to eight guys on a boat who will be using a rod furnished by the captains. Then all you really need to do is make pretty wraps because the captain will usually tell you the rods get real beat up but make them look good. A pro staffer is usually fishing with one maybe two people and usually the same people. Where is the advertisement.
Mark

Good idea
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2002 08:41PM

I think I like Mark's idea and he is right. A lot of people will see those rods and get to fish with them. Now that's advertisement!

Re: Good idea.. but to add
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 28, 2002 12:24AM

One thing to remember is that a requirement for many pro staff positions requires being a professional guide or angler of some note.
I also agree Mark is off to a good start with getting a custom rod in the hands of a professional guide. Very effective promotion of your rods, and if they handle well for the guide you can be sure the guides will relay this to all his clients for more business your way. I can say this continues to work well for me also, and you can get some pretty good 'hot spot' fishing info in return (that's what I mean by mutual sponsorship, eh?).

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: Good idea.. but to add
Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2002 03:58PM

I sell most of my custom rods to clients who have used my guide service. I also know alot of guides and charter captain's who are willing to buy a custom rod for their personal use but most of them are sponsored by the big companies like Diawa, Shimano, etc, and they have to sell their products first. I got away from pro-staffers and now I try to push the spiral wrap on these guys for their personal use. It's a little tuff but I am starting to see some heads turn. You can also hook up with the Tackle shops and the like who give fishing seminars and give a seminar on custom rods.

Best Idea
Posted by: Mark Carlton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2002 08:00PM

If you want exposure then there is little you could do that would be better or expose you to more potential customers than a listing on the TackleWorks site. It's very inexpensive and I have already taken in more than enough to pay for my listing. This is just the first month and I know I will get a lot of business from it as time goes on.

It's one heck of a lot cheaper than $2500 worth of free rods to somebody.

Re: Best Idea
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2002 09:01PM

Tom hasn't done anything that hasn't turned out exactly like he said it would. Tackleworks would seem to be a pretty good risk with a chance at a pretty hefty return in that regard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster