I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color preserver
Posted by: RON FLYNN (---.o1.jps.net)
Date: January 26, 2002 12:16PM

hi i would like to get some info on brilliance color preserver how does it compare to the others? can LS supreme be used over it? has anyone ever used the cabelas color preserver? i've been using flex coat it seems to work ok i just wanted to know if there is brand that gets better penetration? by the way this site is the best great bunch of people thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color preserver
Posted by: Lee Muschler (---.217.206.125.charter-stl.com)
Date: January 26, 2002 05:40PM

I tried the Cabelas Color preserver once and did not like it. My wraps changed color and became "blotchy". Admittedly I am a newbie and the experience could have been user error. I went back to Gudebrod CP that I thin rather heavily with alcohol and it works very good. I have a feeling that if I thinned the Cabelas in a similar manner it would work good too. Sometime I will try it.

How does color preserver work ?
Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: January 26, 2002 06:20PM

I had built a flyrod almost two years ago (dark green), and used Light Blue Wraps (Nylon thread) and UV protected Formula Flex-Coat.
Now, the "back of the wraps" look light grey, almost white. Is it because of the SUN ?
How terrible could UV rays be ?
Is there anything to protect that light or bright colours?
How does CP work ?
Does it "keep working" after epoxy-coat dries?

THANKS!

Re: How does color preserver work ?
Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: January 26, 2002 06:55PM

Ron: I aint no chemist and there is no merlin in my name. All I know is color preserver works. Dont know how but it does. Somehow blocks UV rays from penetrating. When I use Brilliance, I thin 50-50 with distilled water for my first 2 coats. Then 2 coats full strength. To check the coverage of the cp, I dip a brush in alcohol after the cp dries and go over the wraps. If your not getting total coverage you will get spotting. Dont forget the tunnels at the base of the guides. Dont get cp on the blank only the thread. When you finish extend your epoxy a little past the thread. This seals off the blank and encapsulates the thread and cp. If your not getting 100% coverage go back with full strength brilliance, wait till it dries, and do the alcohol terst again. Brilliance I is dry when totally clear. If there is ANY repeat ANY haze to it, its still wet. And your gonna get blotches. Run a test on your buttsection where the seat and grips are going to be. CP and finish.. As a sidenote Briloiance II should be thinned at least 30-40% with DENATURED alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is 30-70% water I am told. The Gudebrod color preserver 811 also works well. Should have no compatability problems with LS Supreme, just make sure its dry. Good Luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 26, 2002 08:40PM

Color preserver works by penetrating and sealing the thread against penetration of the eventual finish you will use. The carrier, which is normally water in the acrylics and similar in the urethane/acrylic types evaporates and leaves the solids behind to seal the thread. One of the most common problems with the use of color preserver is over-thinning. When this takes place, you are simply applying a solution that is mostly water or alcohol to the threads and not enough solids are left behind to effectively seal the wraps. This is just one cause of the dreaded "blotches".

There are many other common problems, along with their cures in the volume 4 #2 issue RodMaker which had a very in-depth article on the make up, use and problem solving issues of the various color preservers on the market today.

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2002 10:46PM

I love the original Brilliance and never had a problem with it. I am making the transition to Brilliance II and I like it also. Brilliance II is better thinned with denatured alcohol than water. Al Goldberg wrote an excellent article about Brilliance II in the July-September 2000 Rodcrafters Journal. He uses 1 part alcohol to 9 parts Brilliance II. You need to apply a flood coat to let it soak in and then wick off as much as you can. Let it dry and apply a second coat the same way. Let the second coat dry 24 hours before applying finish.

Hugh Miller

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster