I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank information
Posted by: Clint Doak (---.newholland.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 03:28PM

I would like to learn more about rod blanks and guides. What the different modules (spelling?) ratings mean and how this effects the way the rod works. Also more information on guides, single foot and double foot, different materials used in constructions of the guides and what the pros and cons of each.

I have found several sites with fair to good information but I was hoping someone might have a web site or a book or a video in mind that will have all the information in one place.

Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank information
Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins (65.212.56.---)
Date: January 25, 2002 04:13PM

Here is the link to Fuji's website. Should tell everything you want to know. Also try Pac Bay's and see if they have info concerning guides. The modulous issue is beyond my knowledge. I believe, but don't know for sure, that the higher the modulous the faster the recovery (returns to resting position after load released) and I beleive the higher modulous will allow thinner, therefore lighter blanks. I am sure more knowledgable people will chime in soon.

[www.fujitackle.com]

Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: January 25, 2002 04:42PM

Tom Kirkman has a wonderful book out that addresses all those questions. I bought mine through mudhole. If your starting out making rods it's a great place to start. Good luck

Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: January 25, 2002 05:42PM

Spelling:Modulous ( of Elasticity) ability to "keep" original shape of a certain "body", and/or the "energy" that the process requires.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 07:04PM

Tom Kirkman's book has the best down to earth explanations of modulus and spine that you will ever. It's got all the tech stuff , but you can still understand it.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 25, 2002 07:14PM

Clint,
This is no doubt the premier site for your possible answers.

First off, I can almost assure you will find out all you want about blanks, components, and general or specific rodbuilding on this site. Just keep tuned, or go through a search of the archives. The various manufacturers will give their versions of information about their particular blanks. Check out also the St. Croix link to the left for some elementary explanations about power and action.

As mentioned, get a copy of Rod Building Guide... by T. Kirkman as the best beginning source to get a good grasp about guides and rod materials.
Ask away about specific topics that come to mind. What you already present for questions could fill quite a bit of pages on this board alone.

A basic approach might be to figure on the 3 W's as the rodbuilding applied to your fishing applications. What, Where, Why?
What species you might be after and the equipment usage with it may determine a lot about particular component selection.
Where you might be using the rod and it's attatched equipment?
The big blue sea, a fast river, a small stream, a big lake...where?
Why are you building this rod? For increased performance? For distance casting? More for fish fighting stability? for appearance? to show the skills you have put into it, and thus reflect on the choice of components?....Why?

The specifics about modulus, I won't get into at the moment (surely someone will though....I hope?). but also you'll want to know such things about stiffness to weight ratios, grades of graphite materials, the various spec. numbers behind why certain tapers, butt diameters and tips, etc. graphite vs. glass vs. composite, damping, loading, rebound, scrim, hoop strength, stress distribution, static deflection, etc. etc..... and this just in reference to blank characteristics and guide distribution. You asked about specifics about materials, and hopefully the manufacturers can throw some light on the subject to the limitations of their particular trade secrets.

Stay tuned and check back often to this site. You'll probably get a brain full.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
www.rodreel.com

Posted by: Dave Joseph (---.dial.bright.net)
Date: January 25, 2002 10:19PM

Clint, All of the above comments are excellent. Here is one I like. I have not seen Tom Kirkman's book yet, but another great book to try is Dale Clemens "Advanced Custom Rod Building". It is full of information that will never be outdated. It covers everything from how blanks are built to custom jigs and every thing in between. A practical, scientific and common sense piece of writing. It is probably avalaible through some of the sponsors on the left of this page.

Posted by: Clint Doak (---.newholland.com)
Date: January 28, 2002 12:18PM

I want to thank all of you for the information. I am building my first rod and the more I do the more questions I have. Again thank you all.
Clint

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster