I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a Long Island, NY Rod Builders Group
Posted by: Robert Roy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2004 11:49PM

I was wondering if there was a group of rod builders that get together on a regular basis in the Long Island or Queesn areas.

If so I would be interested in learning more about them.

Thank You
Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a Long Island, NY Rod Builders Group
Posted by: Barry D Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 08:56AM

Go to Stripersonline.com and scroll down to rodbuilding ask around for AL Goldberg He is a Longtime builder that has rod building classes in that area

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.107.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 09:08AM

Check the Rod Builders' Directory here on this site. You may find some other builders local to you and might be able to set up a group.

Posted by: Robert Roy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 02:17PM

Thanks for the input.

Rob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 08:57PM

It's been long enough - I'm gonna try and start a local Rodbuilding club in the New York area. There are so many builders in this area interested in learning new techniques, etc - but no organization. Hopefully by year's end, something will be formed. There are other local clubs which are quite succesful, I spent some time this weekend discussing how to go about setting a club such as this up, pro's con's etc - with the people who run one of the clubs, so I have some ideas.

Posted by: Mike Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2004 09:04PM

Keep it non affiliated with any national type clubs and you'll attract more people. Most of us don't mind a simple type club but as soon as you make it an offshoot of a larger national club or group with dues, etcetera then you have what will always be a very small and closed group.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 09:28PM

Count me in if you start anything....

Posted by: John Chase (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 10:49PM

No dues??
I think we should have to bring Billy a Sic guide and varnish a rod on every visit so he can get all those GUSAs finished on time!
I'd be interested in getting into some sort of builders group.
Keep me posted and let me know if you need any help Bill!!

Posted by: Aurthur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2004 11:15PM

I'm in the Manhattan area and might be interested depending on what would be involved. I would not join either of the national rod building organizations that presently exist though. Would prefer a more informal group if at all possible.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2004 07:17AM

No dues - you know what, I'm not in favor of any dues either. BUT, the Tri-State clubs charges a $20 annual fee, they have people auditting books to ensure all the money collected by the club, are used by the club. So everyone is comfy knowing nobody is making a dime.

Informal doesn't work. I've held 4 get togethers at my house, but what happens is 15 people show up the first time, then 3 the next. More interest has to be shown by people other than myself. Also, when I ask what topics we want to cover, people have to come up with something. I had a great time each time, but it's more a hang out session.

Posted by: Mike Kosiba (163.206.192.---)
Date: March 22, 2004 09:28AM

Central Florida Rodcrafters has been a successful rod building club in Orlando, FL since the early 1990s. The only affiliation with any national group is the permission to use Rodcrafters in the name. Some CFR members are members of other groups, but most are not. Dues are $15/year and cover a monthly newsletter, dinners for speakers, discounts to seminars, and a collection of rod building references and materials. We have an ALPs printer, a collection of fly lines for test casting, and a reference library of books, magazines, and videos. One thing to consider for your group will be a regular meeting location. For the past several years we have been meeting at a local rod building shop, so we have the ability to do some pretty detailed demonstrations at our meetings.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 22, 2004 09:54AM

Mike, is that the club that meets at Curt's home? The biggest problem in NY is finding a meeting place that is free, or even affordable. Thanks for putting this up there, I know the clubs that are out there are succesful, that can be used as a model, but people are going to have to give a little to get a lot.

Posted by: Mike Kosiba (163.206.192.---)
Date: March 22, 2004 11:00AM

Curt's club is Suncoast Rodcrafters. They officially meet once a month at a fishing supply shop, but a small group meets each week at his house. Our club has been able to get meeting rooms at the public library. They are free but you have to reserve way in advance.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 22, 2004 11:33AM

You guys got it together down there. Soon enough, we'll have something in place up here. Will be in contact with you guys, thanks.

Posted by: Rose Miller (---.phlpa.fast.net)
Date: March 22, 2004 07:52PM

Hi Billy,

Nice to finally put a face with your name. Saw some photos taken this past weekend. Nice beard! Better watch that it doesn't get caught in your chuck!
Sorry I couldn't make it to the "meeting"....would have been nice to see everyone.

Rose

Posted by: Michael Davis (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2004 02:09AM

jeez, how did i miss this thread? i gotta check here more regularly.
yup count me in on any club here in ny, ill pay my dues.
rob, hope to meet ya sometime.
and billy, even those informal get togethers (with the amazing food) work well as a "rodbuilder mixer" of sorts. lol. id pay!

finish for hardwood rod handles
Posted by: jacob butula (---.net.gov.bc.ca)
Date: November 26, 2004 12:17AM

I like the feel of hardwood flyrod handles but I am still looking for a good inexpensive finish to coat them with. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster