I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How "TERRIBLE" could it be ?
Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: January 23, 2002 11:06PM

I had built a flyrod almost two years ago (dark green), and used Light Blue Wraps (Nylon thread) and UV protected Formula Flex-Coat.
Now, the "back of the wraps" ( the ones that get the most of the Sun rays) look light grey almost white. Is it Because of the SUN ? How terrible could UV rays could be ?
Is there anything to protect that light or bright colour?
THANKS!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How "TERRIBLE" could it be ?
Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.tisd.net)
Date: January 24, 2002 12:16AM

Solana,

About two years ago I completed a G.Loomis Popping rod for a customer and had the same results occur. I wrapped the rod with Teal Gudebrod Regular in size A. The rod had a complete full color weave of a Speckled Trout. Approximately 5 months later I asked how the rod was performing and got the bad news. He stated that the rod handled well but the wraps had faded to a White color, with the absence of all Teal color. Later in a fishing tournament we participated in, he showed me the rod and as stated the Teal color had vanished. This particular rod was wrapped, two coats of Flexcoat CP on all guide wraps/underwraps as well as the wraps which frame in the weave, 2 days drying between, then the finish, UV also. He stated that the rod has not stored in sunlight but a closed in boat stall. I called Gudebrod/Flexcoat and they stated that they had never heard of this. I have been building for 16 years and this is the first of this incident. Since then I have used the same spool and wrapped several rods and all came out perfect. Go figure..... Best of luck....

Pat Barnard
Pat's Custom Rods

Posted by: DavidHenney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2002 01:17AM

I have seen factory rods do this also, I was told it was due to trapped moisture in the wraps.. I have also seen this on a complete rod, it was suppose to be brown but the finish on whole rod turned a gray color... It was one ugly rod. Thanks Davesrods

Posted by: Jim Levy (66.152.208.---)
Date: January 24, 2002 07:07AM

I had the same problem a couple of years ago with 2 rods. Both were wrapped with Gudebrod regular A in a bright blue (the color evades me, not 245, 050 or 037)that I picked up in a tackle store. Gudebrod stated that the thread I used was made for fly tying and not for rod building and that the dyes in it were not up to the rigors of being in the sun. (One of the rods spent most of its time in a closed shed!) Checking the spool that i store in a closed drawer, it too had faded.

I have also had a blue carpet in my house fade to a pale gray both in areas of direct sun and indirect sun. Color retention is fine under the furniture. I have been told that most blue dyes are suspect to fading and there are no guarantees for color retention, particularly in nylon.

I've never had a problem with other shades of Gudebrod blue. Gudebrod replaced the problem thread with a spool of #037 when I returned the partial spool of faded blue.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 24, 2002 09:51AM

Don't let anyone tell you that nylon rod building thread will not fade in the sunlight. It will. How much depends upon how much exposure it receives.

Many of the epoxy rod finishes on the market claim to have "UV Inhibitors" in them. That might be the case, but they will not keep your thread from fading. Sadly, the ones that tend to turn brown or yellow will do a better job of keeping your threads from fading by the very nature of letting less UV light through to the thread. The "water clear" finishes show off your work better, but typically allow the thread to fade more quickly.

I have been told by some rod builders that using sunscreen on the wraps will keep this fading to a minimum. It's something that I am doing some tests on but cannot say for sure until a full year has passed. Sounds far fetched on the one hand, but it may work to some degree.

I have also not seen any difference between threads coated with color preserver and those not, when it comes to fading. I do know that certain colors seem to fade more quickly and completely, light blue NCP being one of the worst. Others are similar.

So,"bright blue",color evades us.-
Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: January 24, 2002 05:53PM

Seems to be that Light and / or Bright Blue are the "deffective" colour here, or the most likely to "fade" like "watercolor painting".-
If factory rods did that, well , then the colour it is.-
Bad. It is the colour of one favorite team.-
Thanks to ALL for sharing personal experiences!!!.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster