I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap spinning rod
Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.grlnd1.tx.home.com)
Date: July 14, 2001 11:03PM

I had a guy e-mail me and wants a spiral (revolver) wrap spinning rod. I have no problem building a spiral wrap but can't imagine why he would want it for a spinning rod. I've never heard of anyone ding it and can't see an advantage to it. In fact, I can imagine that there would be disadvantages to spiral wrapping a spinning rod.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap spinning rod
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 14, 2001 11:08PM

Can't understand how you CAN spiral wrap a spinner. Whole purpose of a spiral wrap is to get the guides to the bottom of the rod where they normally are already on a spinner. I must be missing something here-
I guess you could spiral wrap from the bottom to the top just to be different!!

Posted by: john bratton (---.eugene1.or.home.com)
Date: July 15, 2001 01:54AM

Hi Lee been awhile say i think the guy is confused i think what he probably want's is the new concept guide set up and don't know the difference.i never heard of spiral wrap in a spinning rod.well later regards John

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.aurora1.co.home.com)
Date: July 15, 2001 03:37AM

Believe it or not,some people actually prefer to fish with their spinning reel on top of the rod!Many people also disengage the Anti-reverse on their spinners and reel backwards to let out line when a fish wants to run.He could be very serious so you may wish to write back.At least for the sake of clarification.You may make a sale.Could lead to others......What have you got to lose besides a few minutes at the computer or maybe on the phone?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 15, 2001 09:20AM

I agree with everything that has been said here - spinning rods already have the guides on the bottom so the idea of a spiral wrapped spinning rod is a bit off-base. But something else in your post made me think there may be more to this.

The term "Revolver Rod" was coined by Mr. Rich Forhan, one of our staff writers. It incorporates more than just the spiral wrap. Other aspects include the weight savings of the split-grip and no-foregrip configuration. Could it be he mentioned "Revolver Rods" with these aspects in mind and not just the spiral wrap part of it?

Obviously, you need to clarify some things with your customer.

Revolver Rod®
Posted by: Brad Tharp (---.kscable.com)
Date: July 15, 2001 10:26AM

I think Tom is correct in mentioning that the customer probably is after the additional features that are found in the Revolver Rod® building style. Lee, this email may have come from someone who has a few rods from Rich already but is thinking he can save a few dollars by shopping around with other custom builders. I am just guessing!

He may be wanting the Axe handle design, the Split Grip or the guide spacing that Rich uses. Other features include the Forhan Locking Wrap (different from the standard locking wrap used on single foot guides) and Fuji New Concept Guide System + (the plus stands for going over and above the Fuji Concept in that some rods get one more guide or one less guide, a larger or smaller guide in some places or even a larger or smaller tip on some rods). Purchasing Guide Sets makes things too easy.LOL

Rich is not satisfied with anything NEW (ie New Concept Guide System) until he tears it apart and rebuilds it. He just has to be DDDDifferent.LOL Actually, if it enhances Bass Rod performance, Rich will figure it out.

At this time I am the only custom builder with permission to use the Revolver Rod® Trademark and I have all the Rich Forhan Rod building specs that go beyond what Rich reveals in his RodMaker articles. Although several other custom builders have been in touch with Rich and may be getting rights to use his trademark soon.

Good Luck Lee and glad to see you found this board,

Brad Tharp
TACTICAL ASSAULT® Revolver Rods®
www.fishingcareer.com

Got it worked out
Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.grlnd1.tx.home.com)
Date: July 15, 2001 10:49AM

Thanks guys for all the help. My customer was confused on what a spiral wrap it. I've since been in contact with him via e-mail and the sale made.

Thanks again for the help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster