I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod reel seat color vs wraps.
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2002 02:56PM

As mentioned before Ive picked the colors for my next fly rod. I painted the blank and picked out my wrap/trim colors.

My reel seat is a Veneeri Esopus in a spalted tiger maple a very nice and somewhat diffucult local wood to get a hold of ! the seat is very marbled with brownish gray/gold spalt lines.

My wife saw my eggplant blue/purple blank and asked to see the reel seat . I told her I was going to use French Navy blue wraps(almost black) with silver trim and she mentioned that I should match the color of the wraps to the seat etc.

Do you custom builders take the reel seat spacer color into consideration or do you do whatever color you like for blank /wraps and look at the seat as just an accent as most wood seats of any type are usualy earth type colors with a few exceptions.

just another Hmmmmm type question instigated by the other gender to put the proverbial wrench into the artistic details!!

I think My plans are cool as im picking up the nickle silver in the reel seat.

this question is not that important but valid.

Many thanks my brother wrappers! "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod reel seat color vs wraps.
Posted by: Andrew White (165.29.23.---)
Date: January 22, 2002 04:22PM

John:

Many times it's just not posssible, but when it is, I really like to match the wraps to the color of the wood insert. To me, it makes everything fit together perfectly. But, with the variability of wood color, AND the fact that wood darkens over time, it's really difficult to do. And, if a builder can do it, it means that the builder uses browns almost all the time. So, I always try, but I don't lose any sleep over it if I can't.

Posted by: rick funcik (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 11:18PM

I definitely think that the colors of thread and seat should be coordinated somehow, but not necessarily matched. After all, you choose thread color to "work" with the blank color, and the guide color too (like you wouldn't do gold thread tipping with chrome guides) so for the best put-together look, your seat color needs to be part of the same package.

Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 01:02AM

I hear you both , thank you ,

I have to admit I have only seen factory rods and most dont match the seats with anything . It would be nice but unless I did some sort of brown Like Andrew mentioned of Id be out of luck and i dont like brown except for wood.

I guess wood is wood and blue or green blanks just arn't going to jive too well with it. I wonder if anyone has tried to make fly reel seats out of marbled acrylic or celuloid ?my antique and new fountain pens are made of some pretty durable material in some very wild colors.

Hmmmm I may have to investigate somthing! it may be interesting!

Happy wrapping "John"

Posted by: Sean Tate (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: January 23, 2002 02:14AM

In my opinion, color coordination works to tie all of the visual elements of the rod together, and can be really rewarding for both the builder and the client.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster