I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aternate printer to ALPS
Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 02:57PM

What other printer in the market are similar to ALPS MD5000, that uses Siler and Gold inks. For making my own labels. I been in the market for a good color printer so kill two birds with one stone, kinda of thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aternate printer to ALPS
Posted by: Justin Hansen (---.NYU.EDU)
Date: January 22, 2002 04:17PM

Is MD5000 the model number because I am unable to find it.

Posted by: DavidHenney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 04:25PM

I did a search myself and found the md1000, 1300 , 2010 and the md500 will do eveything you want it to do.. I got luck and found a MD1000 localy for half the cost they were selling on @#$%&.. I heard a lot of guys are buying Alps printers that don work.. The tech guy at Alps told me the same thing, so be careful.. Good luck.. Thanks Davesrods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 04:33PM

The ALPs printer series is a bit different bird than the usual ink jet or laser jet printers. The ALPs has gotten good reviews for printing specialty items but not so good in the everyday office type color printer area. It's costly and much slower than the run of the mill ink jet. Thus, it may not be possible to kill those two birds with just one stone. Talk to those who are using the ALPs as their everyday color printer for office or home use before you buy.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2002 04:55PM

Tom once again hit that one right, they are slow and unless you intend to do a lot of photo reproducing they are not cost effective at all.The only advantage of the 5000 over the lower cost units is it has the ability to hold 7 ink cartridges at one time over the 4 in the other models and it can print in Gold and Silver foil.
There is no need for Dye Sub capability in the printer and if used the results are no better then an ink jet, as the ink will fade over time.
If you are looking to do just metallic inscriptions find the lowest price Alps unit that will handle metallics,the next step is one that has an overlay feature for true decals{fish,dogs etc.}
Make certain any unit you look at is PC compatable some were made for the Mac.
Invest the real mony in a good inkjet for less then the cost of a 5000 you can get both a good ink jet and a lower cost used alps,
Dave is correct there are quite a few bad printers being sold used on e bay.
Good Luck
John

Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 05:23PM

Thanks guys. Will hop over to @#$%& asap.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 22, 2002 10:55PM

Agree with John and Tom. We have the 1300 model, almost exclusive for use with dye sub and making just labels, and we are using water slide decal paper for now.
It can print other stuff and other papers, to be sure, but you will waste cartrige ink and probably better to use the ink jet or lazer printers for higher speed.

It is a tough item to find nowadays, and to trust the condition. We luckily found one new from a smaller shop in Canada a couple of years ago, but I would venture no one would have one new in the box now. If so, consider it a lucky find. We conserve ours for special purpose usage, and for that purpose well desired, but for every day use wil sacrifice the cheaper cannon ink jet printer. For specialized photography...well I don't touch that subject yet for any expertise here.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Question on Printers
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 23, 2002 04:55AM

I have a HP 722 can I make clear labe that produce custom luking lables on a clear flim

Re: Question on Printers
Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: January 23, 2002 08:36AM

Bob:

Wish it would work, but it won't. The inks are too opaque and when you put it on a dark rod you can't see them. Kind of like when you use yellow thread and don't use color preserver. I've tried everything. If you use them on a white blank, they will do alright. I suspect the inks will eventually fade from sunlight anyway.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 08:45AM

Bob regular ink jets have a two part problem 1st as Ray said the inks become translucent when applied to a blank and in some cases completley disapear.The use of a white backround as some transfer materials have will enable you to use them but the backround is now visible also,2nd in many cases the inks will smear and run when the finish is applied, for most unless you are doing a considerable number of rods would be to have the decals made for you. In addition Tom K has frequently mentioned have letter transfers made up in the colors of your choice.
John

Posted by: Larry Puckett--FlyDoctor (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: January 23, 2002 02:19PM

I have the Alps MD1000 and use it exclusively for decals. The important advantages of the Alps "inks" is they are very opaque and waterproof. They also come in metallic colors and white which allows you to make an even more opaque background for colors that normally aren't. Alps claims their inks don't fade but time will have to answer that one--FlyDoctor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster