I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Proper ForeGrip Selection/Install
Posted by: Ken Asbury (---.clsp.uswest.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 10:31PM

Hi Folks, I just discovered this board and want to ask a couple of questions to see if someone here can help. I am a novice rodbuilder having built three Sage Trout Rods. I now want to tackle a Tarpon rod (1291-3 RPLXi) and I haven't figured out how to select and install the foregrip. I have looked at a variety of internet sites and have found alot of info on regular cork grip installation but nothing about foregrips. My second question concerns whether to use an underwrap on each of the guides for the 12 weight? I have a factory Sage 12 wt now and it does not appear to have any underwarps on the guides. Would underwraps help or hinder this size rod? I would greatly appreciate any advice you can provide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Proper ForeGrip Selection/Install
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 10:59PM

Hi Ken,
On your question for underwrap on your 12 wt rod. I normally do a underwrap since you have alot more torque on the fish you are catching. But you need to remember that with an underwrap you stiffen up the rod to so the action changes.
On Foregrip, it is really no different glueing up a foregrip and a butt grip. You just need to make sure it fits snugly.
I hope this helps if not just email me.
Thanks
Neal Cissel

Re: Proper ForeGrip Selection/Install
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 09:55AM

Underwraps normally create what feels like a softer rod, not a stiffer one. The idea that it makes the rod stiffer is a bit of a long standing misunderstanding, on the part of many builders when it come to things like underwraps and double footed guides. Although it is possible to stiffen some very short sections of the rod, the effect of the added weight creates a rod that acts softer overall. For best efficiency, add as little in the way of components and wraps as you can.

If your guide foot prep is good - no sharp edges or burrs on your guide foot undersides - then underwraps are pretty much just cosmetic. Having the guides on the underside of the rod eliminates most any torque that might be placed on them if they were mounted on top of the rod. I understand that the fish fight will not always be conducted along the same plane that the guides are on so Neal's comment about additional torque is valid. Still, I don't think you'll find it necessary to use underwraps if your guide prep and wrapping are up to par.

Foregrips are mounted in the same way as butt grips. If you have a particular problem area just ask back and we'll try to help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster