I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can trim bands act as a security wrap on single foot guides?
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 02:49PM

Ive noticed on some web sites some single foot guides with trim bands in front of the foot. I could not tell on the photo however if locking wraps were used .

Will trim bands work as a locking wrap if packed tight against the guide foot or should I do a lock with the main wraps and add the bands for cosmetics? 9' 4wt fuji SICs.

Mucho thanks "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can trim bands act as a security wrap on single foot guides?
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 03:09PM

I would think they would serve the same purpose as a locking wrap.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt6.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 04:31PM

In effect, a trim wrap in this area is just a security wrap that is made separately from the main wrap and is also perhaps a different color. Other than that, there really is no difference in terms of its functionality.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 06:51PM

John To make a security wrap. wrap behind the guid about 4 wraps. This should stop or help prevent guide from pulling out
Bob

Posted by: Russell Monroe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 08:58PM

I would think that such trim wraps were the original security wraps for single foot guides and that the one piece wrap and security wrap sort of grew out of that.

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 11:06PM

I've been using the trim wrap as a stop for the guide foot for a long time, and have yet to have a guide come loose. I usually measure the guides from the tip , and then make a small mark where the guide begins to rise up from the blank. Then I make the trim wrap first, and then wrap the trim wrap first. A little shot of cp will hold it all together. After the cp dries , then butt the foot of the guide up against the trim band. and wrap the guide. The matching trim band at the foot of the guide can be added after the guide is fully wrapped. Hope this helps. Bob Vasko

Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 11:26PM

Yep, I have been using them for years on my light to medium power rods. Give it a try.

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: January 22, 2002 09:41AM

The very "effect" of security wraps, whether locking or not, provides a base for finish to build on. In other words, with thread placed in front of the guide you will get "damming" so to speak of finish under the foot. Either, I believe, will be highly effective. I have never had a singlefoot guide come loose and I have wrapped with and without security wraps. On very light rods I do not use security wraps on the tip section guides at all. It does, although very minor, add weight.
End result, if security wrap makes you or the customer feel better about the rod, do it. If not, use good wrapping and finishing technique and it will serve you well too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster