I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winston blank guarantee
Posted by: John Chaney (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 11:56AM

I broke the butt and tip sections to my 3 piece Winston rod. (DON'T ASK ME HOW!) I sent it in to get replace and they sent me a invoice for $215.00 for repairs. I thought the blank was guaranteed.
Thanks,
John Chaney

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winston blank guarantee
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 02:14PM

It is gauranteed against defects, not necesarrily breakage. That's what so many fishermen and I guess rod builders don't realize that there is a difference between the two.

Most broken blanks are not defective. They have been hit on something or overstress somehow and then fail down the line. If it broke the first time you used it then a defect may be the culprit if it has any age on it at all, even a few months then it has likely been compromised at some point. We never like to hear that but from what I understand the rod manufacturers don't have to guess what happened to it as they see enough to know what broke it or at least caused it to break.

Posted by: Preston Quan (---.rim.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 02:43PM

On the topic of blank guarantees....exactly which blank manufacturers have an "unconditional warrantee" on their blanks? That is, they'll replace it no matter how it was broken.

The only one of aware of is Sage. That's part of the reason why their blanks cost so much.

Preston

Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: January 21, 2002 07:47PM

Well, POWELL has that policy, too.-
AND T&T, I was told.

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalbkom.dk)
Date: January 22, 2002 03:24AM

since you won't tell how you broke the rod - here's Winston's guarantee on the subject - a few quotes:

"Each new Winston graphite fly rod is unconditionally guaranteed against breakage or manufacturers defect for the lifetime of the original owner."

"A return shipping, handling and mailing insurance charge may be applied to repairs."

"warranty does not cover lost sections or lost rods. Warranty does not include intentional breakage."

I think its worth paying attention to the frase "against breakage OR manufacturers defect" and "not include intentional breakage".

so if you broke it but did not mean too - it should be covered (I think)

Peter

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 10:42AM

That warranty appears to be on finished Winston Rods and not necessarily blanks.

Last time I checked Winston was riding the no-fault warranty bandwagon. If you rod was made and purchased since that type warranty went into effect, you are due a new or repaired rod for the cost of shipping I would think.

If it is an older rod or built from a blank, the warranty is limited and only applies to actual defects in materials or workmanship. Thus, the repair charge.

Hopefully you will contact Winston for more information on why you were charged.

Re: Something amiss here
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 22, 2002 04:16PM

I am the owner of 2 winston blanks and I have been reading their message board and corresponding ocassionally with winston for severa years.

Winston rod blanks carry the same unconditional guarantee as their rods for the original owner. Same as the rods, the blanks are registered to the purchaser at the time of purchase with a serial number. Winston will, or at least says they will, replace the broken blank sections.

Winston instigated this policy around 1996, I think, and it was not retroactive.

So if you are the original purchaser, from winston or a shop, and bought the rod after 1996, Winston is obligated to replace the sections for free (not the work wrapping, just the section). If you bought the rod used or before 1996 then they are correct in billing you.

The last blank I bought I did not get a warranty card. I emailed Winston and they told me that they did not send it because they registered the blank to me when the dealer called in the order, so I am pretty sure they keep up.

Hope you get this matter straightend out to your satisfaction, because it is too nice a rod to be unhappy about.

I would call them directly and ask if you think you have not been treated according to their clearly stated policy. Look at the R L Winston site, FAC to see about the warranty. Email them or post on the message board. But a phone call would be most effective.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster