I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Failed Butt Wrap
Posted by: Rick Gilman (---.white-plains-01rh16rt.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 20, 2002 09:18PM

I just finished my first butt wrap on a fluke rod i am building without much sucess. The wrap was a simple diamond with a metalic braid in the center with a 4 thread wrap on eather side and a 2 thread wrap on eather side of that. It looked good but i could not keep the threads where they were suposed to be. I think this was caused by the tape loosining or not holding it tight enough at any rate the threads were loose and would not stay together or where they belonged. I thought i was using enough tension but always had to ajust the wrap. Could you please tell me what i did wrong? Should i have used a base wrap? Also should i be using NCP thread for my butt wraps. As always many thanks for your help. Rick Gilman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Failed Butt Wrap
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 20, 2002 09:29PM

You can use any type thread you like for the wraps. I don't think you had the threads tight and if they slipped on the masking tape the tension was even less. I will apply new tape on every few passes just so I have some fresh, tacky stuff to stick those threads to! Then I make my tie off wraps pretty darn tight to make sure everything stays in place.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 20, 2002 10:52PM

Rick, Go to your local hardware store and buy a couple of dowels to practice making your wraps. Try varying the tension until you get to a point where your threads stay in place. I used to apply a lot of tension and ran into some problems. At a conclave I met Dale Clemens and he told me to apply less tension and that corrected my problem. If you are pulling the thread off of the tape it appears that you are wrapping too tight. Try just laying the thread next to the other and let the thread dictate the tension.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.66.mhub.grid.net)
Date: January 20, 2002 11:02PM

Rick, instead of using two sided tape consider using regular masking tape and taping the threads down. Every 10 or so passes, wrap a full piece across the little pieces.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 11:42AM

This may sound crazy but for years I have used a piece of tape to hold each pass of thread. I never had that good of success with the threads laying on a sticky back tape. I pull a long piece of masking tape out and stick one edge to the bench. I then proceed to cut 3/4 inch wide tape into 3/4 inch lengths. I stick one edge along the edge of my rod bench. I then cut all the pieces of thread, single or multiples, and stick one end on the tape and let them hang in order of application. I have other pieces of tape cut which are ready for the loose end of the thread after they are applied. Once you get started it keeps things flowing and you don't have to stop to set up another thread grouping. after it is all done you will have a large bump of masking tape where the threads start and stop. After you have tied off the wrap you will find that you can lift off the whole bump of masking tape in one shot. It saves time and your design comes together quickly. I hope this will help some of you to make doing your crosswrapps a little easier.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Justin Hansen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 12:59PM

I have done the same thing, bu recently I did my first closed wrap on a rod with a rather large diamter. The "tower" of tape that I ended up with was extremely unstable and caused a few of the threads on the bottom to become loose. This method works well when wrapping bands of thread on large diamter blank and single threads on small ones. However, when wrapping intricate patterns on a large blank that needs to have single threads done on each pass I think that there must be a better option. Double sided tape has never worked for me either so I am not sure what the answer is.

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 11:17PM

Try not to use a lot of tension when laying down the threads. Use just enugh to get the threads to lay down next to the previuos thread. Pack the threads after every few passes. If you use cp, you will find that when the wrap is finished, the cp will act as "thread glue" and will keep the thread adhered to the blank and to each other.Bob Vasko

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster