I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10,000 Posts
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 20, 2002 06:00PM

Sometime in the next few weeks somebody here will make the 10,000th post on this board. (Not bad for a board that is still not quite 7 months old!)

It had been suggested to me earlier that we offer some sort of prize or recognition for the one who made that particular post. On the one hand, I don't want to see people making multiple posts just to hopefully "cash in" on something. On the other, nobody has to know how close we are and I suppose I will give in to those who say it might be fun and a bit of a surprise to somebody.

We'll look into it a bit more and see what we can do. I don't expect this to happen in the next week anyway, so we have just a bit of time to figure out what we are going to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10,000 Posts
Posted by: Alex Matic (---.mv.meer.net)
Date: January 20, 2002 11:30PM

Hello there,

My name is Alex. I have been lurking for a while here, and finally decided to say something too.
As my experience with rod building is fairly limited, I find this board to be an exceptional value.
Also, It is one of the most civilized boards the I've ever visited (including those that are supposed to be "for highly educated people only").
Tom, moderators and all of you who made it happen - Congratulations!
To fellow colleagues who post here, willing to share and learn - thank you.
As an engineer and avid fly-fishermen, I hope I will have something to contribute too.
Tight wraps, even tighter lines and keep up the great work!
Alex

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: January 20, 2002 11:44PM

Tom,

I'll toss a Rainshadow IM6 IF903 blank, a sliding-ring reel seat (birdseye maple, cocobolo or rosewood insert), set of Snake Brand guides, a matching tip top and stripping guide, and a cork grip into the pot as a prize for the lucky 10,000 poster.
(cost of shipping included)

Andy Snedden
Custom Rodbuilder Supplies
andy@rodbuildersupplies.com

Posted by: Ian Scott (---.pairowoodies.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 12:31AM

Holy moly, Andy! That is very generous! That's enough on it's own to motivate me to get back into rod building, and see if I can be the 10,000th poster! But I fear I would not qualify for such a prize, I could probably get inside information on it.

Ian Scott
[www.about-flyfishing.com]

[www.pairowoodies.com]

Re: 10,000 Posts/ milestone
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 21, 2002 01:52AM

Fellow Rod Builders,

Well, Andy giving away the store and a very generous gesture. I am sure Tom and the posting winner will really appreciate the donation.

Just a note in congratulating Tom and the quality of the participants and posting that goes on here. Also, I am proud to be a sponsor of this site for rodbuilders. As the header says, it might be appropriate to add "GREAT" gathering place for custom rodbuilders.

Guess I played some part in starting the posting prize with the 5000th entry. It wasn't much. In fact it was a prize of Posters for the lucky poster! and some hats.

In keeping with tradition and it's my honor to donate to the great milestone achievement for the 10,000 th poster of rodbuilding.org, I would like to donate the following to the prize list:

1. A genuine, authentic hard rod case (black) to match the fly blank set ($35 value).

2 A nice quality Marado or DAM matching wt. Fly reel (you'll like this)

3. A set of Posters. Naturally. to the lucky poster. (my choice, but it will be clean)

4. A set of TiN(tigold) AND TiCH guides that we constantly yak about, so you can see for yourself how nice they are (your choice of light spin, cast, or fly) with top and hookeeper to match.

5. The book. "Rod Building Guide..." by Tom Kirkman. who else?

In addition, if the lucky poster is from Canada I will throw in a one year paid subscription to RodMaker magazine, delivered.
If the lucky poster is in the U.S., then I'll substitute a neat selection of proven tackle including grim reaper, venom, and some super cast braid fishing line.

free shipping to Canada or U.S. (sorry guys elsewhere, but you'll get the stuff if you pay the shipping...europe, asia, etc.)

(shh! don't tell the boss)

p.s. Ian, sorry your not eligible but you wouldn't be interested in all this rodbuilding stuff, eh? just kidding.
And thanks for the great job of design and hosting this site. (ours too!)

So, good luck and I hope Tom will start the drum roll!

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel
www.rodreel.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 09:50AM

I'll let you know when it happens and who it is. I'm not going to say how close we are other than to say that sometime in February somebody will make that 10,000th post.

I also wanted to respond to Alex, above, concerning his mention of how civil this board is compared to so many others. I get flak on a daily basis about our requirement for first and last names and valid email addresses. Many of those who complain aren't the type to cause trouble anyway, but I have stood by our initial rules in the interest of fair play and to ensure that problems didn't happen to begin with. It has worked well. I recoginize that many don't like the way this board is moderated and run, but it is hard to argue with the results.

My original goal was to provide a place where rod builders could exchange information in a friendly atmosphere and the industry could gain and extend inside information on products and services. It appears the board has done just that.

Posted by: Jim Johns (---.boeing.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 09:59AM

Tom,

I concur -- you've accomplished exactly what you set out to do. I personally appreciate the civility and knowledge demonstrated on this board very much.

Jim

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 01:35PM

The free gifts offered by Andy and Rich are extremely gracious. That alone represents the calibre of people that sponcer and visit this board. I hope to be the 10,000th post, but if not, I will hang in there and maybe be the millionth!

Bill Doherty

Date: January 21, 2002 03:19PM

Bill,
If this site, and I live long enough to see a million posts it behooves me as to what the prize list might be, but it should be a wonderful celebration.
We feel priveleged to have heard from many rodbuilders from this site and happy to serve their needs in rodbuilding, if in some small way. Let's get past 10,000 and maybe reach the 20,000 milestone post this fall.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Date: January 21, 2002 04:28PM

Bill,
If this site, and I live long enough to see a million posts it behooves me as to what the prize list might be, but it should be a wonderful celebration.
We feel priveleged to have heard from many rodbuilders from this site and happy to serve their needs in rodbuilding, if in some small way. Let's get past 10,000 and maybe reach the 20,000 milestone post this fall.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt6.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 04:35PM

If my quick math is correct we could expect to have 20,000 posts by the end of our first year. That means 5 years to 100,000 and thus 50 years to our first million. The way the Government spends millions at the drop of a hat we sometimes forget what a huge number it really is.

Most us reading this now aren't likely to live to see 1,000,000 posts here. If they do, I hope somebody gives them some great stuff. Toss in some magnifying glasses too - they are likely to need them at that age.

Re: 1,000,000
Posted by: Clyde Dent (162.39.169.---)
Date: January 21, 2002 06:15PM

I bought $50 worth of raffle tickets at the Conclave and didn't win zip. How was I to know that over 6,000 tickets would be sold? So, what are the odds of me hitting the 10,000 post on the nose? Hey, I could get lucky.
Clyde Dent

Posted by: Russell Monroe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 08:44PM

I once bought a lottery ticket and was told by my wife that I was a fool. She said she had heard that the odds of anybody winning was like putting 7 million dixie cups at the bottom of the Empire State building and then tossing a penny off the roof and having it land in one cup. She wanted to know what made me think it would land in mine. All I could say is that it was going to land in somebody's and could just as easily be mine as the next fellows.

What you want to bet that the guy who hits the 10,000 post here is a first time poster.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: February 09, 2002 11:25AM

:D

NOT a first time poster, but a guy who REALLY appreciates all the help he has received from the GREAT people who have created this board, and who POST on this board!

I have entered many things, and I NEVER win anything! Of course, I once won a "vacation," but it turned out to be a time-share thing that everyone wins, if they put in their name.

WOW! I have this huge grin on my face that won't go away! I am THRILLED! GREAT STUFF and a GREAT BOARD!

HUGE thanks to everyone!

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster