I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe Motor Problem
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 02:58PM

I noticed that the last few times I ran my Clemens lathe with 1/10th HP motor, something was burning. I would stop, wait a few minutes and finish up. Today, I saw sparks inside the motor, and it was very hot to the touch. Can someone tell me what is happening? Is my motor about to burn out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe Motor Problem
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 04:05PM

You may have a set of bad or worn brushes. I have not opened one of these particular motors but on many the brushes are replaceable.

Posted by: david teague (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 08:27PM

Any time I sand cork my 1/10 motor smokes and smells. It sill turns but sometime I have to hit it or turn it by hand to get it started. That can cause trouble when l wrapping rods at the other end from the motor. Going to keep it as long as it works as I've only had it a few months.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 09:00PM

Check youe brushes. Email Dick French about your motor
Bob

Posted by: Dave Joseph (---.dial.bright.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 10:36PM

Billy, I also have the Clemens 1/10th h.p. lathe (about 2 yrs old). As part of the operating instructions they advise removing the chuck periodically and running the motor at full tilt boogie for one full minute to clean the armature and brushes of the junk that builds up from the slow start and stop stuff that we do when power wrapping threads. You might give that a try if you have never done it.

Posted by: Dave Patterson (---.CDRP.splitrock.net)
Date: January 20, 2002 03:25PM

When you check the brushes you should also check condition of commutator as it may need stoning so the new brushes will seat but only if it has visual problem from arcing , dirt, etc.

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 12:24AM

My guess is your are using it to turn your cork grips. Too much pressure and you burn up the motor. This I know from personal experience. Get a motor with more horsepower. That 1/10 hp motor was not designed in mind to run under the heavy load you can get when sanding grips. I use the little guy for thread work and a bigger motor for use as a lathe.

That's my opinion but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 21, 2002 09:57AM

The 1/10 HP motor we are talking about here is actually quite strong and has more than enough power for turning cork and EVA grips. It is a night and day difference between the standard 1/15 HP and the 1/10 HP. I'm sure you could damage it with enough load and over enough time, but it appears to easily handle the load created by turning cork. I cannot say the same for the 1/15 HP motor though.

If I were buying a lathe of this type, the 1/10 HP is the one I would recommend for all-around wrapping and turning use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster