I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot guides/ Heavy casting rod
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt5.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 01:10AM

Hello All,
I am building a few heavy casting rods and wanted to get a few opinions on using FUJI Alconite concept guides. I have used them on smaller rods but wanted too know if the single foot BLAG would be ok on a Muskie / Striper rod. Or would it be wiser to just run the double foot BLNAG all the way to the tip top.
One more question.
My customer uses braid exclusively and all his exsisting Musky rods have stainless tip tops can I use the Alconite or just use a stainless tip top?
Thanks as always
Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot guides/ Heavy casting rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 10:26AM

I'd still use a high quality ceramic top - an SIC if possible.

Single foot guides can be used on a heavy duty casting rod. I would use the lowest frame version I can (fly rod type) to reduce torque on the rod as much as possible. If you can sell it to your customer, there are nothing but postive advantages to using a spiral wrap. Sure they look funny, but if you could have seen the stability demo that Don Morton and I did at the recent conclave you'd definitely be a believer.

If it works on the California party boats, it'll work on a musky.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 19, 2002 11:33AM

Mark,
The spiral concept works well on Musky rods, the problem is as Tom mentioned to get someone to get accustomed to the look.

Many musky angler's seem to be gravitating to the use of super braids and the choice of guides can be a bigger factor as far as getting harder ceramic, but also for heat dissipation. (Those 60 or 80# super lines are strong , but just to be sure if you have that trophy of a lifetime to keep the line in top form).
Besides SiC guides, also I like using the titanium carbide framed guides with the Zircon/ TiCH ring which also is approrpiate for the situation. They are durable, corrosion resistant, and light. Nothing wrong with using double foot if you want. On the light weight musky blanks available today the weight of those smaller guides (probably size 8) in double foot are less the factor, and would not necessarily reduce performance, in my opinion.

I also like to double wrap the guides on those larger blanks.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Rex Mason (---)
Date: September 03, 2020 08:30AM

Why do most rod builders use Fuji guides? I have very seldom; if ever; seen comments about using American Tackle guides. For my personal use, I have always felt that Fuji guides were overpriced.
on rod tops for myself & for others I have used nothing but the Nanolite ring. So far I have not had any complaints.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster