I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forecast Blue Blanks
Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 17, 2002 09:16PM

A previous string asking about favorite colors for blanks was brought up and blue being one of the favorites.
We would just like to mention that a popular line of import blanks from Forecast (Batson Enterprises) was recently well received at the Nashville rod builder's conclave event.

The main feature is that these blanks are first run manufactured blanks, and not blems. They are an entry level, but are surprisingly good for their low cost and good looks. They are Dark Blue and the fly blanks are in a variety of models.

We're a distributor for these blanks, along with Rainshadow and just wanted again to mention if someone is interested in these to check them out with us, either from the catalog or let us know which length and weight you're interested in. They are great value and build into a decent fly rod with a very nice color.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

(807) 486-0514
email: info@rodreel.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forecast Blue Blanks
Posted by: Coach Bagby (---.gnt.com)
Date: January 17, 2002 10:54PM

I have used the Forecast fly blanks and they worked well for their intended use.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2002 07:59AM

Rich - could the dark blue be considered. "navy blue"? Some dark blue rod blanks are a brighter "cobalt blue". The reason I ask is I have been asked to build a rod for a school charity @#$%& and would really like to use their school colors - Navy\White. Hope the Forecast would work, but if not do you have another suggestion?

Thanks

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: January 18, 2002 08:24AM

Rich,
What do you mean "entry level" blanks? Are rod blanks made in quality levels? I usually ask for a top of the line blank without realizing that I am getting a better made rod blank. For an inshore rod blank or spinning rod blank in the 7-9' length, what is considered an excellent blank, and what is the cost of this blank as opposed to the "entry level" blank. A last point is, what is the difference felt by the fisherman in the two "levels?"
I have a feeling that others would be interested in this information, especially when you consider the work that goes into the making of the rod.
Thanks,
Sanford

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2002 09:42AM

Sanford,

I have started using Forecast blanks in my rodbuilding. They are manufactured very well. So far they have been consistant. I would consider them "entry level" only because they are not made of the more "exotic", high dollar graphites. I think they are a good value since they are new and do not comand the high price of a "big name". If you need a IM6 blank, give them a try. All the blanks I have bought so far have been as straight as can be hoped for. The finish was very good. Just an opinion.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 18, 2002 10:19AM

Keep in mind that quality is not always a function of price or performance. A first quality blank out of Narmco 96 graphite (one of the original forms used in fishing rods) will not offer the same level of performance as a first quality GLX blank. It won't cost as much either, but the quality may be just as good or even better.

The Forecast blanks probably do not offer the level of performance as the higher modulus RainShadows or whatever else you want to compare them to. But that doesn't mean they can't be a quality product. Entry level? I know what Rich means and I don't think he was trying to discredit the product. I think we all have a hard time describing the much improved foreign made blanks nowadays.

Joe Meehen from AMTAK spent a day with me back in the Spring. I was really impressed at the quality of his imported blank line. No, they won't perform at the very highest level in the blank industry today. But they were straight, light and beautifully finished. I would call them a high quality product and there is certainly a niche for these blanks and others like them.

Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 18, 2002 01:41PM

I think Tom answered the question as I might about entry level. Mostly it is that they are value priced and enter at a level that is lower in cost.

Of course, I think most rodbuilders have the idea about various grades of graphite in blanks and for sure there are higher performance and quality characteristics, thus higher pricing. Also, domestic blanks ususally carry degrees of warranty based on the series or model of blank. The lower price of Forecast also is that they come without warranty, but as many already have said the quality and finish is first rate.

In answer to Steve, I would say the blanks are a dark blue in ordinary light conditions indoors. Outside in bright light they appear more transluscent and I would have a hard time describing them as cobalt.

There are quite a few models to choose, and some might be described as 'softer' in actions. The bottom line is they are a cost effective blank for many rod building applications.

Thanks,

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster