I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who makes Tiger Eye blanks?
Posted by: Keith Hixson (---.elltel.net)
Date: February 18, 2004 12:33PM

Who makes Tiger Eye blanks and what is there quality.?

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who makes Tiger Eye blanks?
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.los-angeles-54-55rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 18, 2004 01:01PM

i believe they are made in teiwan. i have built three rods on those blanks and the quality is very good. for the price they are hard to beat. sevier mfg is the importer but i don't know if they actually manufacture them or have someone else do it. very attractive rich transluscent brown color. available in up to four piece, at least in the fly line.

Posted by: Marc Schwitters (64.140.60.---)
Date: February 18, 2004 01:57PM

Jeff at Platte River rods sells them as well. Good guy

Marc

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.tc.king.catskill.net)
Date: February 18, 2004 02:26PM

Tiger Eye blanks. The 6'6" medium spinning blank I am building seems more like a medium-light than a medium. I will run the CC tests and let you know what they determine.. Beautiful finish at a great price. I think these blanks will become very popular and for good reason. Looking forward to building their fly and surf models. My guess is that a Taiwanese blank manufacturer who normally builds blanks on contract for the major brands has decided to put out his own line of blanks during the down time between orders.
The expertise is there in the shop, so why not put it to use when the machines are not being used for the big name brands. It would make sense that if they can build to the specs of the big names, that they can also create a line of very good blanks using their own designs.
Their costs are low so they can pass along the savings to the distributor and dealers. I would not be surprised if the blanks are marked up close to 100% by the dealers. Lots of good margin. If I had the capital I'd be interested in becoming a dealer of these blanks.Still, even with the nice mark up for the dealer, they are priced well for the builder. i wonder what kind of waranty is available..if any.

Posted by: Aaron Hansen (65.88.51.---)
Date: February 18, 2004 05:53PM

The warranty is 1 year. At least if you buy them from Neal's.

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2004 06:14PM

I have used all of the 1pc. 7' spinning blanks and they all turned out very good. I build rods for inshore fishing and sometimes you hang into something larger than what you were fishing for and I've never had one to break. I was fishing for trout with one of the lighter blanks and hung a 37" cobia,it took me a little time getting him in but I had him for supper that nite. Sevier is great also.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 06:38AM

Neal's Fishing Products has the full line of blanks and components of Tiger Eye line.
www.nealsfishingtackle.com

Posted by: Josh Markvan (---.tcg2.tcg.dialup.nauticom.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 09:21AM

The tiger-eyes that Sevier gets used to be made in Taiwan. They are now made in China. I don't know about the other dealers' blanks.

As for warranty, I got a 7'0" 3/4 that didn't look right in the tip section (shrink wrap ridges were showing prominent throught the finish). So I put a little bend on the thing with my fingers. It broke clean with just a touch of muscle.

So I called Larry Lukens at Sevier. No questions. I got a new tiger-eye in the mail about a week later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster