I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping bench suggestions??
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.nash01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 10:11PM

Did not see anything in search. Setting up area for rod building and need some ideas on bench/table to make or purchase. Kitchen table is now off limits, seems some brush cleaner and wood finish do not mix (next topic will be repair of wood finish)!
I think I would prefer to sit and use an office type rolling chair. I have the standard Flex Coat rod wrapper and finishing motor. 2' x 8' - 5/8 inch plywood good enough? What works for you guys?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping bench suggestions??
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 10:31PM

i set my self up a shelf /table i also use the flex coat wrapper set up i have a 1x12-10' so i can work the longer rods i simply
cut a dado and used some 1/2" square built my self a guide track as per say also i built me a switch box so i can work my up or down the rod and have the on/off by my side as i also work from a rolling office chair just an idea email me if you would like more info ....John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Scott Mumford (---.cts.com)
Date: January 15, 2002 11:17PM

Q & A Board for wood working. Just typed in repair of table finish using Altavista and ...
[www.samallen.com]

Just a suggestion - Fix the table and then build your workstation.
She might let you back into the house.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 15, 2002 11:20PM

Bill,
Guess you might have to find another message board about wood finishing and hope you are spared about the, 'now former' use of the kitchen table.
Really though, you don't need a great big space to set up for rod building. If you have an area, try setting up an L shaped bench that is like a kitchen counter top? Not really a huge investment in materials and some 'carpentry' time. One section should be 8 to 10 ft. that would rest your lathe or wrapper with extensions. The connecting "L" can be shorter, or as long, depending on if you want a 'finishing' area.

Of course, if you'de have more room, it would be nice to have areas of the room with the turning lathe/vacuum setup and the main and wrapping/finishing area. Make sure you have good lighting, and plug ins. We have plugs installed above the counter for convenience, and some shelving or slat walls (with shelving or peg board) above for storage. A rod rack is handy to have nearby, and if you have an area for tubes to store blanks horizontally. A good solid stool/ lab stool with rollers is handy for working close rather than a comfy type office chair. The 2 x 8 plywood would serve okay on a budget, but make sure you have good support underneath. If you're in this for the long term, you can appreciate a good solid working surface and room to maneuver.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2002 06:13AM

Bill 20 years ago I found a used 11/2inch- 4ftx8ft sheet of plywood and put 4 drawers on each side. Then I put saw horses under it to hold it up. then over the years I have added used cupboards underneath.
This give me plenty of storeage and working space.I have 2 rod lathes on each side and 4 drying motors in the center. My drying motors are old rotisory motors. two of them are 15 years old. I think have a total of 80.00 dallors invested in the table, but I have been told if I had it built I would be looking at 4 to 5 hundered dallors to have one like it made. I belive in working with the space you have and build around it. When my feet get tired I also have a old desk that I can set at and do wraping
Bob

Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: January 16, 2002 07:30AM

Working from an office chair is comfortable. I use a 6 foot folding table that I picked up at Office Depot. I have a Flex Coat SW2 wrapper that I attach to the front edge when wrapping. With the wrapper off, I have plenty of bench space to work on other stages. I have several plastic storage boaxes, like go in a tackle box that set across the back of the table with guides, thread, tools and such in them. For doing the realy dirty work, turning cork and so on, I have an old kitchen cabinet with a sheet of plywood on top of it out in the garage.

Bill, This is a bit factory for your needs......
Posted by: Brad Tharp (---.kscable.com)
Date: January 16, 2002 08:03AM

but there might be a tip you can use. As you know we have been moving into a new location and in setting up the rod shop I have designed and built most of the tables.

With a 14 foot ceiling we don't have to worry about heigth. Instead we had to have a couple ceiling fans to push the heat back down.LOL I built 2 glue-up/handle shaping stations. The tables 20" deep X 10' long and attached to the wall. I built the table tops from pine 2x2's glued together in a "butcher block" look. A V-Groove is routed into the forward edge to lay the blank for marking guide locations and all handle marks. An 8 foot tape measure has been inlayed into the wood in front of the v-groove. I put a 3 foot inlayed tape in the reverse direction to make it easier to measure out the handle portion (reduce human error from reading 8' tape measure backwards). At the left end of the table we mounted a small vairable speed drill press. With the thickness of the table we could remove the metal base of the press and bolted direct to the table. At the other end we have the lathe for turning cork handles.

Our wrapping table is built in the same 2x2 style and is 12' long. I built it 40 inches wide with a raised back board down the center. We can run 2 wrappers with one on each side. With a dove-tail 4"wide groove cut into the front edge of the table we can mount the Clemens wrapper to an oak board that will slide in this groove. The person wrapping can then move the wrapper back and forth while sitting in one location to wrap. No need to move the foot pedal or never have the pedal where you need it. I inserted rollers into the table to ease the movement of the wrapper in the grove then added a locking lever (like a rip fence lock on a table saw) to lock the wrapper in the desired position. I can now wrap an 8' rod and never move the stool I sit on.

I am adding storage drawers under the tables now. All tables are protected with 4 coats of polyurathane. I will be adding some photos of our new shop at my website soon.

I hope there is an idea or two you can use Bill.

Re: Bill, This is a bit factory for your needs......
Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: January 16, 2002 08:46AM

I guess I'm a little simpler. I put a door blank from home depot on top of two file cabinets?

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: January 16, 2002 09:15AM

Bill: I went to a used office supply store and found three formica covered tables that are 60" long by 20" deep. I put folding banquet table legs on them. John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 16, 2002 09:20AM

Bill,

The March/April 1999 issue of RodMaker has a photo tour of my own shop. I have some luxuries in the area of space and machinery that most rod builders don't , but you still might get some good ideas from it. Lots of wrapping tables shown in there too.

Posted by: Bill Tune (66.147.9.---)
Date: January 16, 2002 11:40AM

Hmmm, where else can you go to get great ideas, AND how to get back on the good side of the wife!? Many ideas here that I will work with. The "shop" will be in a recently finished upstairs "bonus room" Thanks guys.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins (---.tnt1.branson.mo.da.uu.net)
Date: January 16, 2002 01:32PM

I just built mine. Total cost about $65 and love it. I bought a piece of 4x8 MDF board. Hard, level, smooth (and heavy) stuff. Used 2x4s and carriage bolts to build it. Cut a 30" x 8' for the top and used the remaining 18" to build the back upright (especially good for applying finish, use it as a rest). Anyway. I will email you a pic of the bench and how I have it layed out. If you need more pics showing construction let me know. If anyone else wants to see it for ideas, they are certainly welcome to email me off list and I will send the pics.
Elrod

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: January 16, 2002 05:17PM

Bill; get a sheet of that MDF cut it in half lengthways and glue togethergood solid top. if space is a problem hinges on the bottom at rear edge you can fold it down against wall

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster