I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repairing damaged cork handle
Posted by: Dave Richard (---.112.120.24.lvcm.com)
Date: January 15, 2002 09:14PM

I'm looking for some help repairing the cork handle on my fly rod. Some fool, (me), used it for a hook keeper in the heat of battle. I don't want to remove the handle. Is there a concoction I can make to fill the
gouged cork. If you help me fix it I promise not to do it agin :) Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repairing damaged cork handle
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 15, 2002 10:25PM

well how bad did u set the hook ....ha ha ha ..... if you have some cork shavings get your self some tite bond wood glue mix your self a paste like mixture with a litte of both and fill in then resand VERY lightly with a very fine grit paper i.e. 400-600 after you reshape to your likeing use some trondax u-40 and seal it up ....hope this helps thight wraps ....John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Steve S. (---.norwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2002 11:59AM

Dave....I have had pretty good luck mixing cork dust with Rod Bond. After it is about the consistency of peanut butter, I add a little "Artist White" tint (available at Hobby Lobby or art store) until it matches the color of the cork. The Cork Dust and Rod Bond mixture alone will be to dark. I apply it with a spatula, place wax paper over the repair and wrap thread over the wax paper until it sets up. I then come back and sand it dowm to match the surounding surface level. I have used this for pretty big chucks missing and it works pretty good.

Good Luck
Steve S.

Date: January 16, 2002 02:18PM

John B. and Steve S: Thanks for the information. I'm on my way to gather the materials to fix the gouge; actually gouges, I have a couple others that can use a little work. Dave

Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: January 17, 2002 06:47PM

Did you finish ? How does it look now?

Date: January 17, 2002 11:34PM

Solana, as a mater of fact, I did two repairs last night. I used John's idea on one and Steve's on the other. Both worked VERY well.
Now I'm wrapping some hook keepers :) Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster