I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sully's Rod Wrapper ?
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.rasserver.net)
Date: January 26, 2004 02:52PM

Anyone had any experience using the Sully's wrapper? I am using a homemade hand wrapper I built that is like the Flex Coat hand wrapper. I don't think I need a power wrapper as I only build 5 or 6 fly rods a year but would like something a little better than what I am using.

Thanks
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sully's Rod Wrapper ?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.accel.pas.earthlink.net)
Date: January 26, 2004 06:51PM

Have tried one of those wrappers at Angler's Workshop, it's definitely a step up from what you and I are using and running multiple threads or backing up to fix a mistake is much easier also. I myself am in the same fix, the Sully or bite the bullet for a Custom Powerwrap.

Posted by: Wes Wyatt (---.74.217.238.Dial1.Providence1.Level3.net)
Date: January 26, 2004 08:33PM

Bob,
I really like the Sully, works great on multiple threads and inlays. Takes a little getting the hang of it at first, as not to let the wire spring tension loose. You are able to back up and correct any faults without loosing the tension.I use it for most of my hand wrapping. When it comes to power or if I want to just start a wrap on a stand up rod, the American Tackle power wrapper, with the improved rod supports is the way I go. especially on long underwraps. Just start my locking thread by hand then go to power.
Hope this was some help.

Wes.

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.247.247.175.bay.mi.chartermi.net)
Date: January 26, 2004 08:34PM

I use the Sully and really like it. The ability to back up with tension on the wrap is probably the best feature. I have been doing 6-8 rods a year and can't justify a power wrapper---at least not yet. Actually, I enjoy the slow pace I can maintain with the Sully Wrapper.

herb

Posted by: Aurthur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2004 08:44PM

The reverse tension feature should be standard equipment on all rod wrappers and lathes. I think if it was, more beginners would stick with this craft. Being able to back out of mistake under tension just makes wrapping so much easier.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 27, 2004 11:07AM

I wrapped my first rod on a Sully and couldn't believe that I would want to wrap another without the tension device. I picked up a power wrapper track and thread carriage along with some spring steel wire and added the Sully tension features to the thread carriage. It looks like a "Rube Goldberg" device but works like a charm.

Posted by: BILL BOETTCHER (---.75.87.231.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: January 27, 2004 12:17PM

Bob; Maybe take a look at the photo page and add to your system that you have. When I built mine, I checked all I could find and tried to put as many things on it I thought would be useful. Tension is only a soft maybe 6" long spring or even a very soft tip section off a rod blank. When you back up the spring holds the tension of the thread

Posted by: David Wilson (---.ac7.otton1.isp.cyberus.ca)
Date: January 27, 2004 08:10PM

I use and find it does a good job. I have not used a simplier model as originally posted, but would not want to give the ease of use of the tension system.

Power is too much for my hobby activities.

Posted by: Chad Southard (128.32.120.---)
Date: January 07, 2021 02:05PM

Hi all. Anyone have a sully they want to sell?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster