I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scotch brite or sand between finish coats on wraps
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2002 12:05PM

Hello again,

Im doing the guides on a bamboo rod Im refurbishing. Im using Varathane 900. Tm doing thin coats and not spinning the blank.

My finish is now sitting just above the wraps should I sand with 600 -1000 grit wet dry paper or buff over finish with the gray scotch bright pad instead?

I will use this method as well on my next graphite project. Let me know your thoughts please.

Many thanks "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scotch brite or sand between finish coats on wraps
Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.3g.quik.com)
Date: January 09, 2002 01:00PM

Hi John,

I've never used the Scotch brite on wraps, so can't comment on it's efficacy. But 1000 grit sandpaper, used dry, works quite nicely with the Varathane 900. Others use 4/0 steel wool with good results.

Hope this helps,
Harry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 09, 2002 01:09PM

If you apply the finish within a few hours, or say a day or so, there is really no reason to sand between coats. If you are attempting to rid the finish of imperfections, that is another story. Most "varnish" type coatings recommend using very find paper or steel wool between coats for this purpose.

On your graphite project, and if you are using an epoxy type finish, you do not need to sand or scuff between coats unless you are applying the applications more than 48 to 72 hours apart.

Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: January 10, 2002 03:43AM

Dont get me wrong but i have been building for years as a full time rod builder here in Australia and never once have i sanded between coats on rods that have sat there for more than a week. I have had rods sit for months and then put another coat on and had no problems and thats on rods from light spin to unlimited chair rods.

Stuart Mackenzie
Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 10, 2002 09:28AM

I don't doubt that. What happens when you put on multiple applications within the given time frame is that they meld together to form a single coat. If you could do a cut-away you would not see individual layers, but rather a single layer of finish.

With applications applied several days, or weeks apart, you do wind up with more than one coat - individual layers on top of one another. Nothing exactly wrong with that, but some of us have experienced one layer peeling off from the one below it. It does not aways happen, but can and sometimes does. I have seen in on quite a few rods. Thus the recommendation for a light scuffing between applications that are applied more than 48 to 72 hours apart - to better adhere the layers to each other.

With most of the varnish type finishes the sanding or scuffing between layers is more of a finishing technique to remove imperfections and dust, etc., so that the final top coat is as perfect as can be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster