I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PC-7 Past
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.71.206.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2004 06:24PM

has any one used this stuff for real seets and handles?? Thanks for any info

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PC-7 Past
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.71.206.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2004 06:26PM

thats paste

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 14, 2004 06:43PM

I have used it a couple of times to bond real seats on surf rods. I don't use it anymore. It is a thick paste and dries like concrete. It is easier to use rodbuilding epoxy. However, when that stuff goes on, it stays on. A week or so after a hurricane hit our area I went fishing in the bay and hit a submerged object and knocked 14 finishing size nail holes on the bottom of one of my friends aluminum boat. I patched all of the holes witlh PC7. That has been over ten years; the boat gets a lot use and still no leaks.

Posted by: Larry Michaels (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2004 08:12PM

It's not really well suited for use on fishing rods. It's thick and heavy and requires a gap or space between the components or else you'll just push it all out of the joint.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2004 12:39AM

PC-7 ia another example of a product used because it is recommended somewhere, somehow, for rod building. The stuff is downright awful to work with - thick sticky paste that gets on everything and is hard to cleanup. A better alternative is then newer paste expoxies. Personally I use the Kardol brand, its much easier to work with having the consistency of soft vaseline. The stuff cures like concrete and is extremely strong.

There are there are a couple others available. Many marine retail dealers (BoatUS, Boaters World, West Marine, etc.) have paste expoxy kits similar to the tubs Kardol comes in. Rod Bond, I believe, is a similar epoxy, though I have never used it.

Thsi topic brings me a chuckle cause when I first began building rods I would use the regular liquid epoxies and try to use the stuff to mount reel seats with. I managed, but would wind up gettig the stuff all over everything, The cleanup would take me longer than the actual bonding job itself.

Lou

Lou

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.birmingham-01-03rs.al.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 15, 2004 04:33AM

Back when we did maintenance for two realty companies in the mornings and went to our painting contract jobs in the afternoons I used PC-7 for repairs, plumbing, broken doors and frames where the owner would not pay for true work, i.e., proper repairs. I've even worked PC-7 into a cracked galvanized water pipe, coated the pipe around the crack and wrapped the whole with duct tape and it probably hasn't leaked yet. However, I will not use PC-7 on a fishing rod, period. Rod Bond, 2 hour epoxy, 5 min. epoxy, all are better suited for rodbuilding. Ralph

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.91.155.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: January 15, 2004 09:55AM

Sounds like it is - really - hard stuff! Got some on order - got to play with it.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2004 11:25PM

Should have posted this here to begin with! There are publications you can trust and those you can't.

In Tom's book he has a whole chapter on adhesives and which ones are best for rod building. He stated that PC-7 was a good product, but not very well suited for rod building chores. Rod bond and the liquid types were mentioned and each for what. Stick with just these two and you can cover anything that comes up in rod building.

Posted by: PATRICK HEANEY (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2004 06:35AM

Ah yes, old PC7. Used it since the early '80s. Hard to clean? YES.
Thick & hard to mix? YES. But there is nothing better to use on Stand -up tuna rods & heavy saltwater tackle. The stuff is indestructible.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.56.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2004 09:14AM

It's also the wrong stuff to use in close fitting joints. I've had to repair more rods built with PC-7 than any other type. Nothing wrong with the epoxy itself, it's just not designed to be used in the type assemblies we usually face in building rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster