I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spike butt Surf Rod
Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 02:11PM

I might have posted this question before! In my journies surf fishing the North East coast I came across an old salty dog who carried a long surf rod (12 footer) one piece. It had seen its best days but still resemble fine craftmanship. What made it percular was that the wooden butt end was spiked tapered to a point and he used it as a walking stick, as well as spiking into the sand after a long cast into the suds with a 3 oz lead and a wiggling eel.

It was dark but from my glimps of it it had a long wooden butt handle nicely turned chrome reel seat and wooden foregrip with what I think was a E-Glass blank. Has any one on this board built such a rod. It captured my interest. I am thinking of building one with more modern components (Graphite blank, Fuji low rider guides, graphite seat and possibly a screw in or plug in extention for the spike at the end of the butt grip. Would like to make it as light as possible. Still wondering what material to use as spike attachment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spike butt Surf Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 02:30PM

Daiwa, among others, used to make these rods with the spike on the butt. I suppose it saved the fisherman from having to carry a separate sand spike with him. He just shoved the whole rod into the sand!

I am not sure where you could get these spikes, save for finding some of the old Dawia's at a yard sale and taking them off and using them on your rods. I'm sure with some imagination somebody can come up with something. Take a look at the hardware or gardening stores. Maybe they have something that is designed to be pushed into the ground that could be adapted for use on a fishing rod.

Posted by: Felix Cartagena (198.211.71.---)
Date: January 04, 2002 03:12PM

Thanks Tom, I will look into those Daiwa rods, maybe emailing them at their site thay can foward me any info they had on them. The rod I saw was definately custom made and old.

I will keep you informed if I find a suitable device to use as the spike.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 08:47PM

Olympic also built rods with a spiked butt. They were pointed and shiny chrome plated. Also rusted pretty easily. But somebody must have been making them for these companies to get them.

PS
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 08:50PM

P.S. They don't work as well as you might think they would. Mine would either sink up easily in soft sand and then the rod would fall over when I tried to tighten the line against my sinker. Or the sand was hard and I couldn't get it to go in and it fell over from not being inserted far enough down. Not trying to discourage you but there are some things about that style that probably contributed to it's demise.

Re: PS
Date: January 05, 2002 03:10AM

Thanks William,
These are the kind of things I need to know, makes it a challenge. I will experiment with spike first before working on the components, wrapping and finish. Have several ideas to tackle the problems you mentioned. May have to turn a piece of hard wood for a but section, make it one section with spike at end, like I saw the old timer have.

Posted by: Jim Gaskins (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 05, 2002 08:34PM

william good point on the falling over thing probably due the fact that with a spiked butt you don't have as much surface for resistance as you would with a sand spike made out of say 2" PVC. Just a thought.Jim Gaskins

Posted by: Chris Roberts (---.orf.contbb.net)
Date: January 09, 2002 01:15PM

I saw a wooden spike on the Fuji Tackle - Australia web site. I don't know if this what you are looking for but it is something to look at. [www.fujitackle.com.au]

Chris

Spiked Rod
Posted by: Mike Moran (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 10, 2002 08:19PM

Sounds like an interesting concept. However a few things scare me. I dont think you can pound on it hard enough to keep it in the sand without damaging the blank. And if its not anchored, some fish will have a rod following him around the ocean for a while. Secondly, when you use a long surf rod, where do you place the butt of the rod while reeling in? If you are like me its in the fold between your leg and pelvis. At best this can puncture a wader, at worst it can puncture your.....well you know.

Just my 02 cents worth.

Mike Moran
Alleghany Anglers
www.alleghanyanglers.com

Re: Spiked Rod
Date: January 11, 2002 12:29AM

Did not think of that, at times I place the rod against my self, in a frnzy with a battling striper or Blue fish one can get hurt with spike. Tis it was an idea that you fine gentlemen steared me away from. This is why I post then here.

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster