I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cape Fear Blanks
Posted by: Fred Staley (---.kayser-roth.com)
Date: December 17, 2003 08:51AM

I've visited the site a few times before & must say it contains a wealth of info!!

I'm getting ready to build my second Cape Fear rod (Advance Tech Spinning ADV174-80) and just took delivery of the blank yesterday. While inspecting blank, I noticed a slight deflection (ie.angled bend) maybe a foot or so from tip (I'm guessing an 1/8" but hard to know for sure). The deflection is directly opposite the spine, which they mark with a black dot on blank. I didn't notice anything like this on my first Cape Fear blank (Live Bait Kingfish).

I'm not sure if this a defect or just a characteristic of their unique design. Since this deflection is on same plane as the spine, I guess I won't experience any unwanted torqueing when using rod later.

I'll probably pose same question to Cape Fear directly but thought it would also be interesting to hear what the rod building pros might have to say (especially those with experience using Cape Fear blanks).

By the way, I build rods strictly as a hobby and this one will be my 12th. And thanks in advance for any advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cape Fear Blanks
Posted by: Ray Alston (---.duda.com)
Date: December 17, 2003 09:12AM

Fred,

I built one of the 7' 30# models a while back. At every taper transition point the blank had a crook in it. I suspect its a characteristic of the hex design, because all the taper changes were very noticeable. Once its wrapped, you really don't notice it.

Ray

Date: December 17, 2003 09:41AM

Wanted to clarify that this deflection causes tip of rod to be off the straight line of rod by maybe an 1/8" (visualize a bend pipe). Don't notice any bends at other transistion points.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.109.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2003 09:45AM

Fred,

Spinning rods can't torque or twist regardless of spine or blank curvature. Under load, the line always seeks the lowest position which, on a spinning rod, is where the guides are already located.

By the way, are you the NC Fred Staley? If so I suspect you've been to my shop.

Date: December 17, 2003 10:46AM

Thanks Tom! And yes, I'm the NC Fred. You have a good memory - it's been 10 years or so since I was last by TKR. Wish you were still around - was a great local source for components. Now it's strictly mail-orders.

Guess what you're saying above is that a slight bend shouldn't affect performance? That's it's really only "cosmetic"??

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.32.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2003 10:49AM

Pretty much. Most commercial operations build on the blank's natural curve, putting it so the tip and butt point up and the belly is down. Most custom builders build on the spine and that puts the natural bend off to one side or the side, most of the time. Unless it's severe, it won't harm anything.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.tc.king.catskill.net)
Date: December 17, 2003 02:18PM

Tom,
Even though spinning blanks can't twist under load, can a bend in the blank adversely affect the casting accuracy? Once the lure or bait is airborne and loses momentum can a bent blank, especially near the tip, deflect the line enough to impede a true flight path or casting distance?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.204.143.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2003 02:52PM

I made a casting machine some years ago and could make verbatim casts and keep any human error out of the equation. What I found is contrary to much of what you hear.

No matter where you positioned the spine, the lure would travel in the direction the tip moved. And 99% of the time, the tip moved directly opposite to the direction it was loaded. It did not appear that the spine could be used to guarantee or affect casting accuracy.

If the blank had enough of a crook or bend near the tip, so that the tip was out of line with the butt by a half inch or more when mounted so that the blank was casting at 90 degrees to this natural bend, the lure would tend to go off course by a bit. The farther the cast, the more it was off (simple math). I had some blanks that were curved enough so that the tip was off by as much as an inch. On these blanks the accuracy of the cast was terrible. The lure almost never went where it was aimed. However, you could put the natural bend back in line with the casting direction and accuracy was not affected.

As far as what happens after the lure leaves the rod tip - the blank at that point can do nothing else to change the flight path of the lure. If the blank continues to bounce up and down (slow recovery or damping) the friction and waves it puts into the line can slow the lure and reduce distance. But you won't change the direction the lure is traveling in.

I am aware that excellent fly casters can cause a line to "turn a corner" at the end of the cast. But that's done by manipulation of the rod in such a way that the fly line, by nature of how it's cast to begin with, takes the input and sends it on down to the tip of the line.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.tc.king.catskill.net)
Date: December 17, 2003 03:39PM

Thanks again for clearly and concisely providing the answer to another of the questions that orbit the world of rod building and fishing.

Posted by: Jim Coffey (---)
Date: October 19, 2019 11:15AM

I am a custom rodsmith in SW Florida. One of my clients presented me with what he claims is a Cape Fear hextec rod. The rod is 7'7" , has 6 sides, and while there are no markings, logos or specifications on the rod; it appears to be in the 10 -20 lb class and looks to have been assembled and personalized by a custom builder (IE Holographic reel seat, purple metallic wraps and extended cork butt and fore grip.) Can anyone provide me information regarding this rod or direct me to some source of information about it. My client believes it has great value. Therefore, before I begin refurbishing the rod, I would like to ensure that I am not devaluing the rod in the process Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster