I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Doc Ski Weave???
Posted by: Dave Cartee (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 24, 2003 06:53PM

I just bought the video "Advanced Weaving Techniques with Doc Ski" and watched the whole thing. One of the reasons I bought the video is that it said on the back that the pattern for the yellowfin tuna was included in the package. Well I took the cellophane wrapper off myself but there are no patterns anywhere to be found. I called the numbers for Doc Ski Rods and have left several messages and have even e-mailed Doc Ski but I have received no response. Does anyone have the schematics from the video that they could e-mail me. I am sitting ready to go with 4 Calstar rods that I want to put the tuna on, but I can't get a response from Doc Ski Rods. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Doc Ski Weave???
Posted by: jim jancek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 07:53PM

the pattern is the weave he does on the video you can follow along and write the pattern down as you follow along. Jim

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2003 08:04PM

I may be wrong but this came up before and I think if you call or write he will send it to you. In the mean time, if you'd like, I can scan it and send it to you in an email. I also have the tape and it came with the pattern.
Ray

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 08:45PM

I have the patterns also if you don't get them from the fellow who offered to scan them. I'd have to go to a copy store to get the color change pattern copied so hopefully the scan will work. let me know

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 24, 2003 09:34PM

Dave,
The pattern doesn't come inside the cellophane. Check the box that the video was shipped in, it might be taped to the inside of the outer box. I received two patterns with mine along with a list of all of his weaves.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2003 01:51AM

Ellis,
Any chance of you sharing the list of his weaves?
Ray

Re: Same problem with Doc Ski Weave??
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 25, 2003 05:50AM

Dave,
I ran into the same problem, and the pattern was not in the video as advertised. I also can't reach Doc Ski. If there is anyway to get the pattern, I would appreciate the help. Also, one of the patterns, the feeding Tuna has a couple of threads that go nowhere, so make the pattern first as a test before you make the final fish. That way there will be no surprises. Thanks,
Sanford

Posted by: jim jancek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2003 07:29AM

i didnt get the pattern with my video either could someone email it to me please? email is. james17990@cs.com thanks jim

Weave pattern problems
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2003 12:52PM

I was one of the first to purchase Doc's weaving video and graphed out the patterns prior to trying them. I found an error in one of the left lists and pointed it out to him and he made the correction to subsequent lists. We then worked out a deal where I bought a bunch of his patterns at a large discount in return for checking the left lists by graphing them out prior to weaving them. I found several more errors in the left lists which he corrected.

We all make mistakes. I'd strongly recommend everyone graph out a left list purchased/borrowed/stolen from someone else prior to weaving to check for errors. Its a lot easier than finding it after the weave is done. Also you may notice changes to the pattern you wish to make prior to weaving which I've done to many of Doc's patterns( I like to add a bait fish being chased for example).

I binder with all your patterns graphed out is a handy item to show to prospective customers also when they're interested in a weave on a rod but not sure which pattern to choose. On my own patterns I put a reduced copy of the graphed weave pattern on the same page as the left list.
One of these days I'm gonna get more computer literate so I can email patterns etc. Don't hold your breath though.....

Re: Weave pattern problems
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: November 25, 2003 01:25PM

For more help go to the Jim Jancek, Doc Ski weave post above this one. I have put an E-Mail address there that you can use to get the patterns sent to you.

Re: Weave pattern problems
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: November 25, 2003 01:43PM

On the subject that Jim Kastorff outlined above I would second his advice to always graph out your patterns before trying to weave them. After you have done a couple of patterns of your own and made up the left lists you will see how easy it is to make a mistake.

If you learn to work from the graph it eliminates the extra steps in making the left list and reduces the chance of error as well and lets you see the pattern and how it has been oriented. Many patterns can cross the rod or follow the axes of the rod. You can't tell by looking at a left list.

Corrections made to the graph are easy, corrections made to a pattern and then transferred to a left list may require that the whole list be rewritten. That's very time consuming and opens you up to the possibility of creating another error.

Posted by: Roger Sheaks (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2004 12:50AM

I had the same experience. Let me know how you solved the problem. I would like my pattern as well.

Posted by: Tom Smith (---.nat.hrecn.net)
Date: December 17, 2015 10:28AM

Hello, my name is Tom and I am new to weaving. Question: What does " graph out your patterns before trying to weave them" mean?
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster