I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Skeet Bennett (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2003 11:59PM

I have a request from a customer to build a 9ft surf rod. It is from a female that is 5'3" tall. She says she has small hands and would like something that is as light as possible and would like it to be able to handle lures ranging between 1/2 oz to 2 oz range. Since I build primarily bass rods, I always like to ask you guys that build a lot of salt water rods what your suggestions are. Let me know what blanks you would recommend as well as guides, handle (cork wrap?), reel seat, etc. Thanks to all in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rod Suggestions
Posted by: john chase (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 12:58AM

Lamiglas 108-1L with quick grip over cork tape with a single thread diamond wrap of 50 lb mono for texture. Reel seat: Fuji DPS 18.
Guides: Fuji SIC High frame 40 for a stripper and single foot SIC following. As for spacing? Depends on whether you are going with "cone of flight" or "concept spacing".
Great rod though and I'm using a Penn Slammer 560 on it right now.
Happy rolling,
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.96.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 08:35AM

I think she'd really like the heaviest GUSA Surf Assassin blank, but I don't think you'd ever be able to use 2-ounces on it. It's just a tad light for that. If you knew she'd be staying in the 1/2 to 1-ounce range, however, then it would be the one I'd go with. Very light, small diameter, easy to cast.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.96.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 08:38AM

I went and pulled on one again, and you might get by with 1&1/2-ounces at the top end. But not much more.

Date: November 10, 2003 10:43AM

Tom,

I checked on the GUSA Assassin and it is listed as a 10 foot blank. She was pretty specific about wanting a 9 foot rod. Would you cut the blank?

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 10, 2003 11:02AM

Take a look at the St. Croix SCIII/SCIIW blend 3SRS90M (9 foot, one piece), rated to throw 1/2 to 2 1/2 oz. The blank weighs 5.70 oz., St Croix builds this as their ASR90M retail rod, finished weight 9.75 oz. They build it using cork tape. You could use single foot alconites (with a good security wrap) to keep the weight minimized. Pair it with a Shimano Stradic 5000 reel (13.4 oz.) and you have an excellent light-weight setup.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.204.168.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 11:19AM

No, I don't think I would cut it. The St. Croix mentioned above might be a better idea in this case.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 10, 2003 01:04PM

Also, All Star has a number of 9-foot surf blanks, in both 1 and 2 piece versions, intended for lures in about this weight range. Some are lighter, some heavier than the St. Croix blanks mentioned above. Contact Sharon Johnson through the All Star link at left. Mudhole lists them in their catalog, with all the specifications. (I'm doing all this research because I'm looking to build one myself.)

Posted by: Jim Racela (---.hawaii.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2003 03:35PM

Check out the new Lamiglas Triflex Surf and Surf King rods. The graphite composite Triflex TS-9MH is rated to 30# and 1-3oz. The graphite Surf King SK9M is rated 10-17# and 5/8-2oz.

Posted by: Jeff Brinn (---.hkry.nc.charter.com)
Date: November 10, 2003 06:39PM

I'll second the All-Star 1145 9', great rod, small diameter, light, fast action and good power.

Posted by: Russ Blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 07:33PM

The Lamiglas 108 1L is a nice choice.

Another two blanks that come to my mind and are very cost effective are the Batson an Amtak Patriot 1087.

Blank pricing is about 40% less than the Lami I believe(thats retail pricing)

Date: November 10, 2003 10:27PM

Thanks to everyone that responded to my request for help. This is a great group and I appreciate being a part of it.

Skeet

Posted by: thomas stebner (---.c3-0.rdl-ubr1.trpr-rdl.pa.cable.rcn)
Date: November 10, 2003 11:20PM

Look at the All Star besp1087-2 tip 6.5 butt 1.035 line 12-25 lure 3/4 -2 oz hvy/fast blank wt 3.42 oz. so so so so lightweight im in LOVE

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 11, 2003 11:32AM

Hi Skeet,

Our 1087 in a 44 million modulus graphite is very light and has only a .710 butt diameter. It will cast 2 oz very efficiently. They come in a black pearl satin finish and the price is at the very bottom of the spectrum for a US made all graphite surf stick. Wrap our cork tape on there with our EVA-46T surf grips and you're good to go.

I would also consider our new diamond flocked rubber shrink tube to cover your cork tape. It will extend the life of the tape and add a durable non slip comfortable surface without adding any appreciable weight.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle Co.

Posted by: keith gonzalez (139.76.128.---)
Date: May 17, 2004 12:23PM

i recently came across a 15 foot seahawk model 4557 medium heavy and am cosidering putting my 6500 baitrunner reel on this beast . can any of you pros tell me where i can learn more about this rod and comparitive pricing. i am in jax,callahan fla intend to explore surf fishing in the fernandina (fortclinch) area. baiting fresh and frzn shrimp and mullet, any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster