I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Silks
Posted by: Jon Tobey (---.microsoft.com)
Date: November 07, 2003 03:44PM

The local rod building shop steered me away from silk from my next rod, but in looking at sites like Golden Witch, it seems like if I want to make a truly fine rod, I need to switch over. It does seem like there are varying qualites of silk and the less fuzzy the easier they would be to work with. How do you guys feel about silk vs. nylon, and do you recommend specific brands?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Silks
Posted by: David Henney Dave's Rods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: November 07, 2003 06:07PM

Nylon is lot better to work with, and I use mostly Fish Hawk silk on bamboo rods. No need to really use silk on graphite. Silk is just a pain in the neck to work with. But if you must The Persalls or YLI aka Fish Hawk silk is the best to work with.. Thanks Dave's Rods

Posted by: Bruce Fisher (---.norstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2003 10:53PM

I did a rod with Kinkame Silk and it came out beautiful. The rod lights up in the sunlight and almost glows. I used G-brod 811 for CP and could not be more pleased. Kinkame also has a huge assortment of colors to choose from and shaded butt wraps with this silk would be outstanding. I think they have 120 colors or something like that.
Bruce Fisher

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.newm2.ct.charter.com)
Date: November 08, 2003 08:18PM

John..Silk is the classic, longtime favorite for bamboo. When wrapped and finished with expertise, it's incomparably attractive. Pearsall's is the best; it comes in the finest diameter (called "gossamer"), and is as smooth as it comes. Silk is also demanding skill-wise, more prone to color fade, and less durable than nylon. Unless you're building a cane rod, I agree with the direction your shop steered you in. Today's nylons are great threads, and stunningly beautiful rods are built with them.However, both kinds of thread are readily available and relatively inexpensive. I think perhaps the best answer is to experiment on your own and see what you like for yourself. Happy wrapping. Barry

Posted by: Mark Wendt (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: November 09, 2003 09:42AM

Jon,

I switched over to using Pearsalls Gossamer silk on my cane rods a while ago. Silk indeed is finicky thread. There's a fine line between too loose, and breaking the Gossamer. But, once you break the code, the silk thread finishes are just beautiful, especially the Pearsalls. Silk flattens wonderfully, and when you apply a good wrap varnish, the transparency of the thread is absolutely gorgeous. To get good wraps with silk as thin as Pearsalls Gossamer (actually any silk thread for that matter) you need to have the drag on the spool of the thread rather than the thread itself. My wrapper is set up so that the nylon washers and springs provide the drag directly to the spools. When using Gossamer, I find that a few tads below the breaking point of Gossamer thread is sufficient drag to hold the guides in place, yet not too tight to burnish. I must be getting better at my wrapping, because I had a fella ask me what kind of tape I was using to hold my guides on a cane rod.

Titelines,
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster