I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What "thinner-bodied" epoxy do you like? LS Supreme?
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: December 27, 2001 10:11PM

I recently compared my first rod with my latest. Same blank and components, but the difference was like night and day!

The first rod has a 10" butt wrap, and slight "footballs" around the guide wraps. That rod is noticably slower than my later rods, which only have a coat of epoxy at the butt, and nice, even epoxy over the guide wraps. Could the butt wrap have something to do with it, or is it mostly due to the heavier epoxy at the

Since the difference is so obvious, would it be even better to use a thinner bodied epoxy than the Flex Coat I'm currently using? What other epoxies would be thinner, yet be strong enough to fully protect the guide wraps with a single application? LS Supreme? Crystal Coat?

I know this is all opinion, but I value you guy's opinions.
Thanks,

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What "thinner-bodied" epoxy do you like? LS Supreme?
Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 27, 2001 11:42PM

NOT Crystal Coat if you are planning on getting by with a single application. Crystal Coat is desirable for very thin properties and very thin coats. For butt sections, inlays, wraps etc... I used to have to apply up to 6 coats to get complete coverage with CC. LS supreme can be applied in a single coat and level well, but, trust me, you will get a better finish result with multiple coats and much fewer lumps, footballs etc.. LS with 2 coats is superb.

Date: December 28, 2001 06:52AM

Thanks for the info, Elrod.

Cosmetics aside, will one coat of LS fully protect guide wraps, or is two needed? If two coats is really needed, does it end up being just as heavy as a single shot of Flex Coat, or is it still lighter?

It sounds like two coats of LS makes pretty work, and I will use that in the future. But right now I'm looking for lightness and durability, since these rods are for my personal use.

By the way, I have enjoyed your posts, and watching you discover and learn and invent. I'm WAY down the learning curve, but I love the sense of discovery that I get from this new hobby. And the help from you guys is VERY much appreciated! Thanks again.

TH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 28, 2001 09:22AM

A thinner bodied epoxy is not needed. Just use less of whatever it is that you are using now. You can apply the heavier epoxies just as thinly as the less viscuous ones.

Extra weight does have an adverse effect on rod performance. Consider not only cutting down on the amount of epoxy you use, but keeping those wraps as short as possible on the to half of the rod. Less thread, less finish, less weight. I know it doesn't sound like much, but if you want to see what just a bit of weight can do, play around with a naked blank and then glue a simple tip-top on it and play with it some more. You can feel the difference.

Date: December 28, 2001 09:55AM

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Making the wraps shorter was another thing I have been doing with the newer rods. Good advice!

I guess the question is, with the heavier bodied epoxies, will a thinner coat penetrate and level as nicely as the thinner ones? Would "flaming" the epoxy help?

Thanks again!

TH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 28, 2001 10:21AM

Oh yes. And remember that technique is more important than the finish that is used. "Flaming" epoxy is generally done not to level it (all epoxies will automatically level - pour some out on the countertop and watch what happens - it levels) but to temporairily thin it so bubbles will release. But you can overdo the flaming thing. A very gentle, and brief, application of heat is all that is needed. Keep the flame moving and well below the finish. You are trying to warm it, not cook it.

Unless you are late in the game and the finish is partially set, penetration is not much of a problem. It has more to do with pot life than thickness however. Something with a long pot life like the LS Supreme will penetrate because it stays "wet" longer. But nearly all will penetrate if you are quick in applying them.

Date: December 31, 2001 12:40AM

Thank you again, Tom, for the info.

Perhaps because I'm new, I always have to race to get all the epoxy all on before it starts getting thicker. Maybe I mix too long? Spreading over foil helps a little. I don't have a good application tool for that work, either, besides a small artist brush, which seems to apply it the best.

I think I'm going to try some Supreme, just for the heck of it, and see how it works. I am very happy with the Flex Coat, but trying something new never hurts.

TH

Date: January 02, 2002 06:46AM

As I just posted in the other thread, I'm definitely going to try mixing two smaller coats of Flex Coat first, to see if it helps, and use some of the other tips I've been given.

But I also look forward to trying the LS. Sounds like what I am looking for. Thanks.

-TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster