I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Finish Survey!
Posted by: Tom Loucks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 04:49PM

This is for my own purpose. I would like to know which rod finish is the choice of custom rod builders. Is there really a difference in the different brands? Also which speed do you find best when spinning the rod? Primarily salt water rods. I am currently using LS Supreme and I am ready for a new batch so I thought I would get the professionals opinion. Thank you for any Input.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish Survey!
Posted by: Brian W. Spice (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 05:19PM

I am not a "proffesional" but I build mostly surf rods and I have always used the flexcoat finishes with good results. I maybe changingthough the new rodsmith glues and finishes have gotten great reviews so far and I am going to try them next.

Posted by: Mike Kosiba (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 05:30PM

I was advised very early in my rod building attempts to select a finish and method that I was comfortable with and stick with them. This advice was recently reiterated by Rich Forhan in RodMaker magazine. Flex Coat works well for me.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2003 05:46PM

I'll be doing some testing to answer this exact question, what epoxies work "best" and at what motor speeds. I have 8, 18, 30, and 40 rpm motors, Aftco, Rodsmith, Amtak Hi & Lo, FC High and Lo, Supreme, Crystal Coat, & Glass Coat.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 07:34PM

Tom,
I think that there was a good article in RodMaker a few issues ago about the different finishes. You might also want to try a search as there has been a great deal posted here about finishes.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.168.25.159.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 08:26PM

American Tackle finnish works the best for me. I'm no expert by any means so if It levels out good for me it will work for anyone.

Posted by: Terry Henson (---.arcdca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 02, 2003 08:59PM

I used PermaGloss to set feathers and for the first two coats on the eyes to seal the thread.

Finish with one thin coat, just enough to cover the threads with LS Supreme.,

Terry

Posted by: sante morrone (---.rc-eres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: November 02, 2003 09:02PM

my opinion is i found ls supreme to be my choice
i have been building rods for only a year now, but when i purchased my stuff in the begining i purchased flex coat and ls supreme and i tried them both on rods i made for my self from light spinning, bass rods and tuna rods i put the flex coat in the corner and all i use is the supreme its name says it all i like the long pot life and its very easy to use, the bubbles are easy to get out as well

Posted by: Ralph Jones (12.74.163.---)
Date: November 02, 2003 09:10PM

Flex-Coat and Flex-Coat Lite are the finishes I learned with. Having said that, I mostly use LS Supreme and Perma-Gloss these days.I like both Perma-Gloss and LS Supreme,depending on anticipated results, best, so far. I haven't used any others except Crystal-Coat, so I've no opinion on what I've not used.

Posted by: Steve French (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: November 02, 2003 09:54PM

I like the Glass Coat Finish. It levels will and is very clear. I don't use a drying motor, just rotate the rod 180 degrees every 10 minutes for about an hour.
Steve French

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 10:01PM

I second the Glass Coat. Most straightforward finish I've tried. Works just like Flex Coat but dries a bit faster and doesn't turn nearly as brown.

Posted by: Anthony Pantuso (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 02, 2003 10:43PM

I like to use Envirotex eppoxy. You could buy it at ACE hardware for half the price of flexcoat. I build mostly surf rods, the emvirotex has a pot life of over 35mins, it helf when i eppoxy the larger rods. It spreads nice and doesn't yellow that much.
-Tony

Posted by: Charles Armontrout (64.4.96.---)
Date: November 02, 2003 11:16PM

Dear Wrapping Friends,

Back in the late 70's (yes I'am old) when epoxy rod finishes were somewhat in their infantcy, I bagan using them with great delight. The finish looked so great and deep and I didn't have to spend a week putting coat after coat of varnish on threads, PLUS the CP - Whew!!! I can't remember ever having troubles with epoxies that are being spoke of today. But then again, I said I was old . . .???

I started back into rodbuilding in May of this year and I found I had missed a lot. What was unique back then was now the norm. And epoxies are still here and are just as wonderful. I started back up with the American Tackle epoxy finish but during the new learning process I decided to try what appeared to be the standard finish - Flex Coat

My first attempt with both of these finishes was OK as I needed a lot of renewed practice. The Am. Tackle epoxy was great, crystal clear and very forgiving of those wretched "bubbles". Just breathe softly on the wrap and they all just disappear - Voila!!

Flex Coat behaves pretty much the same way - works very nice and dries in much the same time frame as the Am Tackle. BUT, if you can find one, view the finished wraps under at least an 8 power loupe and you may be surprised at what you find. On two occasions I discovered a ba-zillion tiny air bubbles lurking UNDER the finish. These can't be seen with the naked eye at normal viewing distances, so they may be irrelevant to most people, but they are there. There was approximately 5 months from when I used Flex Coat first on a test rod and then the most recent time on a rod of my own with the same visible results. It may never affect the quality of the finish, but, they are there just the same. The quality is in the details!!

American Tackle's finish works great for me.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 11:59PM

LS Supreme. I look forward to the higher build formula.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.92.83.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: November 03, 2003 09:16AM

I also use Glass Coat. I thin it out. Great set time, no bubbles

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.92.83.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: November 03, 2003 09:20AM

Permagloss for blanks over color.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 03, 2003 10:04AM

I'm happy with LS Supreme as I'm now familiar with its characteristics and I appreciate the long pot life and its ability to release bubbles as well as its clarity. If I were building larger rods and covering larger guides and butt wraps I would probably use Glass Coat or one of the other high build epoxies more often. I do think that we are fortunate to have the choices available now. With experience you can choose a product that best suits your need. I do think as you gain more experience with a particular epoxy you will be able to achieve your desired intent in a variety of situations.

Posted by: John lasky (---.com)
Date: November 03, 2003 01:33PM

HEY HEY,

My favorite finish is glass coat with LS supreme a very close second.

for a salt rod I do the following,

1) try not to use cp

2) 2 coats permagloss to lock everything tight

3) one application of glass coat over the top to bulk it up and give the wraps shine.

happy wraps "John"

Posted by: Walter Schmidt (167.78.165.---)
Date: November 03, 2003 02:36PM

Glass Coat!!! I build saltwater rods with very high build,,,levels better than anything I've used,,,heat with alcohol lamp, bubbles disappear!

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: November 04, 2003 09:16AM

I use HobbyPoxy. I like thinner finishes that get applied in 3 or 4 coats.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster