I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FYI - Shipping from the Suppliers Side….
Posted by: Tom McNamara (67.8.5.---)
Date: December 22, 2001 10:00AM

Just when you thought you had it all figured out, Santa is bring companies in the mail order & supply business a lump of coal for the holidays. We received a notice from Federal Express notifying us that all shipping rates are increasing an average of 3.5% effective January 7, 2002. Residential package pickup is going up to $4. Additionally, Federal Express Air is adding a $1.35 residential surcharge for deliveries to residential addresses (Fed. Ex. air never had this charge before). Federal Express Ground is increasing it’s residential delivery surcharge to $1.35 and its Fed. Ex. home delivery to $1.10.

These increases are in addition to the continuing fuel surcharge imposed by Fed. Ex. months ago due to raising fuel costs.

Mud Hole (and I’m sure the other vendors) will continue to due what ever we can to provide the lowest possible shipping cost to our customers, but sometime these things are out of our hands.

Tom McNamara
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
[www.mudhole.com]
Phone: (407) 277-0099

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FYI - Shipping from the Suppliers Side….
Posted by: Tom Wolfe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 10:28AM

Thanks for making me feel better Tom, I thought they were just picking on me!
Happy Holidays
Tom W.
Last Cast

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 22, 2001 10:28AM

Thanks Tom. I believe this is one invaluable asset to this board, is the ability to have the perspective from the suppliers and builders. Communication is so important. Thanks for letting us know, prevents us from thinking suppliers are gouging.

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 10:35AM

Tom - With the drop in airline ticket prices it might be cheaper for you to start delivering packages to people in person.

Posted by: Joe R. (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2001 11:11AM

Tom,
Thanks for letting everyone know this. What's amazing is when fuel prices were going up they impose a surcharge, but now that fuel prices are dropping every week they still continue to not only collect the surcharge but now increase their rates as well. I think the delivery companies are the ones gouging. It's just my 2 cents.
Happy Holidays to All,
Joe R.

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 11:22AM

yup, this is the perfect way to get us out of the reccesion! driv up the cost of delivering the products that nobody has the money to buy in the first place! sure makes sence to me. Pretty soon I won't mail-order anything,I will just hop in the old bronco and have myslf a vacation and go get the stuff myself, because even at 13 miles per gallon it will still be cheaper!

USPS a good solution
Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 07:54PM

I am finding more and more that the US Postal Service is about the cheapest and fastest for delivery. The Priority service is based on weight but you can get most anything delivered anywhere in just a few days for between $4 to $7. I know they have some limitations on length and such but I've been getting my fly blanks like that lately and they have arrived quickly and in good shape.

Re: USPS a good solution
Posted by: Will Parham (---.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 23, 2001 12:20AM

I'm with you Kevin! The USPS priority mail is the only method I use to ship packages. It is real hard to beat $7.00 to ship a 7' rod from one coast to the other and have it arrive in 2-3 days. I have never had a problem with Priority Mail. Fedex is good, but as noted in the first post, very expensive! Don't even get me started on UPS. I could tell some stories that would boggle your mind.

Re: USPS a good solution
Posted by: chris-flying fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: December 23, 2001 06:44PM

I'm outside USA, and it took 2 months to receive a package from Florida using USPS. But then it was a month after Spet 11th.

Re: rate charges
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: December 30, 2001 09:28PM

Gasoline is cheaper now, than before the price jump. I think the law should look into these companies that continue to gouge.

I recently got into it with a local supplier about the surcharge. I gave them a check for the amount MINUS the surcharge, and told them if they wanted their stuff back, then they would have to send some guys to load it back on their truck, and get it off my jobsite TODAY. I then asked the delivery manager to justify why the surcharge, when gasoline is down to $1.09 in our area, about 20 cents LESS than before the surcharge went into effect. He said, "Company Policy." I said, "YEAH, right! Do you want my business?"

They deleted the surcharge from my account.

One small victory, but the war rages on...

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster