I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on buying a new/used small metal lathe
Posted by: Stephen Ashcraft (---.prodigy.net.mx)
Date: December 18, 2001 01:02PM

I'm becoming interested in purchasing a small metal working lathe in order to pruduce aluminum and/or but caps and trim rings.
I know Grizzly has one for $500. I've serched @#$%& but it's usually a sellers market and I don't have the experience to even know what to ask the seller.
Any suggestions as to brands, models, or features to look for or stay away from would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on buying a new/used small metal lathe
Posted by: Stephen Ashcraft (---.prodigy.net.mx)
Date: December 18, 2001 01:36PM

I just checked to archives on this topic. Guess I should have done this first. It seems you guys have just about beat the snot out of this topic in the last couple of months. I think I'll just leave it there. Thanks!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 18, 2001 02:27PM

For what it is worth, most of the type lathes that you have spoken of are quite similar. I have heard from several that the Grizzly is a good one as they hold their supplier to a bit higher standard than some of the others.

The upside to these type lathes is that you get a lot of features for very little money. The downside is that they are sometimes a little rough around the edges, so to speak.

There are two other types you may wish to consider. First is the Sherline. It is a high quality tool with many accessories available. It usually sells in a basic configuration for around the $500 level. In my opinion, it is a much higher quality tool than the one from Grizzly (or similar) and you will find it to work out of the box with a very high degree of accuracy. The other nice lathe in this class is the Taig. Another great tool with plenty of accessories. It does not feature any sort of power feed nor can it be readily adapted to such (The Sherline can be and they offer a kit to do it). But unless you are cutting threads, this is usually not necessary. Both these lathes are very fine tools in the mini-lathe market and both are American made. It would be rare to buy either one and have any problems or have to perform any major adjustments.

The uside to the Sherline and Taig is that they are very high quality tools. The downside is that they do not have as many included features as the imports.

Posted by: Andrew Jones (---.tnt1.west-houston2.tx.da.uu.net)
Date: December 18, 2001 05:26PM

You can purchase larger used lathes for a very very cheap price because the CNC is quickly replacing them.

There are @#$%& that sell these type of machines but I can't be specific.

The news paper here in Houston has adds for them.

Posted by: Stephen Ashcraft (200.56.228.---)
Date: December 18, 2001 06:28PM

What's the CNC?

CNC?
Posted by: Ed (mrsinbad) (---.citicorp.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 06:42PM

CNC = Computer Numeric Control

So, for a lathe, it would mean the computer controls all cutting operations. Thus, if you are good with a CAD (CAD = Computer Aided Drafting) program... if you can draw it, you can make it. So a custom sized reelseat would be no sweat.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 06:45PM

Computer Numerical Control. Most of the hand work involved in machining a part is no longer required. You set the computer to the supplied specs and the computer controls the movement of the cutting parts. It's not necesarilly better than doing it by hand but is much faster.

Most of the older American made lathes that cannot be retrofitted with CNC equipment are being sold at bargain prices. The only problem is that these are very HEAVY machines and might be a bit on the big side for a small rod shop. But the value is there. For the record I looked at a Grizzly 9 inch lathe the other day and it is just under $1,000. Not bad. But then a 9" South Bend is just over $13,000!!! Find yourself an older South Bend 9" for a thousand bucks and you have a fine machine at a bargain price.

If I had the money I would buy a Sherline for rod and model work. I have seen them and they are sweet.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.3g.quik.com)
Date: December 19, 2001 12:33PM

Tom and Stephen,

If you choose to go with the Sherline or Taig, or any other small lathe, you might want to take into account the size of the bore through the headstock. Some larger rods will not fit. I -think- the Sherline is only bored at 3/8", and that makes turning cork grips on even medium sized rods very tricky.

Other than that, I agree that these are fine machines. Just be sure that they will do what you want before you sink several hundred dollars in them.

HTH,
Harry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 19, 2001 03:19PM

That's a good point and I admit I wasn't even considering it being used for turning grips on a rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster