I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

roberts wrap
Posted by: Gary Taylor (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: July 06, 2003 11:35AM

Hi to all . Ijust picked up three 5 1/2 ft. med. heavy bait casting rods .I would like to try my hand at a roberts wrap i never have done one before.I've read some past articals and still ready the rest. i would like to know how meny guilds i should use and the spaceing for them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: roberts wrap
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 06, 2003 07:58PM

You're asking for info that only can supply. The blanks you have there in your hands will tell you how many guides to use and what sizes. Use the FAQS page on this site to get some idea of how to space and place guides. I don't know what articles you've read on the spiral wrap, but if you do a search on this site's archives, you'll turn up page after page of info that should answer any question you have.

Date: July 07, 2003 05:04PM

Hi mike and thank you. I've read all what was in the archives on the roberts wrap and two articals on roberts wraps in two old rod crafters i have,july august 92 and november-december 96.I think i've got it now iwas reading the july aug 92 at lunch at work today and i was just talking with one of the guy i work with when it hit me,i felt like a real dum ass .Next time i go to start any thing or read any thing i'll make sure im not exhausted, i worked a triple shift just before i posted the question. Thank you again mike.

Posted by: Henry Curtis (168.143.123.---)
Date: July 07, 2003 05:18PM

Do yourself a BIG favor and obtain the volume 4 #2 and #4 issues of Rodmaker magazine. Those have the really best articles on the roberts or spiral wraps done so far. Up to date and really has some new info on these types wraps that I wasn't aware of before I got these back issues. Good stuff.

I will say again that I had no idea that Rodmaker was of this quality and had such professionally written articles. Very very well done.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 07, 2003 07:23PM

I use the method outlined by Ralph O'Quinn in the volume 4 #2 Rodmaker. The older methods you mention will work fine, but I feel Ralph's has a leg up on the rest of them.

Date: July 07, 2003 08:46PM

Hi Henry and Willam thank .I was a member of rodcrafters from 91to 01,I stoped building rods about 98 do to a real bad dirt bike accident,i've been get back into doing rods slowly over the last two years and also remodeling a house i bought three years ago.I'll have to see Richard about 4#2 rodmaker.Thank you again Henry and Willam.

Posted by: John Broughton (---.as3.mdsn0.wi.voyager.net)
Date: July 07, 2003 09:42PM

Hi Gary,

Good luck with your spiral wrap. Although the principle is the same I think you would be happier with at least a 6' blank and 6'6" would be even better.

Just my two cents................John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster